Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashbory bass clips!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You asked for it: you got it. Clips of my new Ashbory bass for all to hear! Feast your eyes and ears on this!

[​IMG]

All recordings were done straight into Protools, with no processing other than normalizing the tracks to get the levels up. They are all under 30 seconds, so broad band impaired can enjoy them too.

Clip #1 Barney Recorded with EQ set flat.

Clip #2 Jane's Bass boosted.

Clip #3 Flea Treble and bass boosted.

Clip #4 Money Treble and bass boosted.

Clip #5 Stupid Improv Thingy Recorded flat with me just goofing off.

Sorry about my serious out of tune-ness. This thing is pretty tiny, and can be hard to play in tune sometimes.

2. cant say i really like the way it sounds, but it certainly is different. it has a wacked rubber fretless sound to it

HAVE YOU TRIED SLAPPING IT? lol...

3. oh btw do you have to buy special rubber for it?

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Very unique sound...the rubber strings really make a difference. I like it, especially since it's only 299. I played one of these once and thought it was pretty fun to mess around on. Very cool! But if it were more expensive than that I would surely pass...but for 299 it does what it aims to do.

5. jojobass

jojobass

Mar 29, 2003
    Thx basstriaxis for this bass clips! :smug:

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    it really sounds like rubber :eek: but close enough to a DB, too, despite its being fretted
    Thanks for the clips! :)

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is it fretted? As I recall, the one I tried before had lines but no actual raised frets; this was at least partly due to how frets would cut into the rubber of the strings.

Wulf

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah I don't think they are fretted. The one I played wasn't.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    They are fretless with white lines.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    well, then they are fretless... So what? i havent seen any around here, and dont think I will ever buy one. I was just curious

11. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    Unusual bass
    I like the tone.
    It sounds very muffled and quite relaxing, but hey, thats my opinion.

12. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I've got one for sale, same blue color with case!!!! :eek:
    $225+shp

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's very relaxing until you try to play it in tune!
    :p

14. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    ummmm....sounds like when I twang away on a rubber band. Don't mean to be rude, if you like it that's all that matters.

Plus, the thing still looks like some sort of Klingon weapon.

15. The Asbory sounds more to me like an upright strung with rubber strings so's it can go can bumpity-thump inna night... :)
    Granted they are fun, but I'd rather put my 3 C's toward a start for a real upright (or even another BG) myself.....
    But then, TEHO.
    Greywoulf

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I dunno.

I'm just crazy about my Ashbory.

I got a mint black one with a bunch of extra string sets (some typically minus the G because they were the old stock that were breakage-prone) for $180 delivered. $13 to Mike Tavener and I'm set up with strings until doomsday.

I've been experimenting with recording it and found it makes an unusually great deal of difference what amp or modeler profile you use with it. Frankly, the above clips don't seem to convey the huge low end this thing has, at least not here on my office playback system.

I also don't seem to have the trouble with playing in tune that others do (or if I do I'm not aware of it :meh: ).

I attribute this to having originally been a lead guitarist who choked nearly every note, so I was essentially playing "by ear" all that time, almost like a slide player.

A big double bass would be nice, but the plain fact is that even if someone gave me one, I'd still not only not have enough room for it, but I'd never play it because of problems with my hands and inability to fight the huge size of the monster every time I wanted to play it, much less transport it.

By comparison, the Ashbory weighs two pounds. One of the things I'm considering doing is working backup Ashbory to solo acoustic singer-songwriter acts in small acoustic venues, running a little combo amp. There's just no way I could schlep a double bass through all that.

For a couple of hundred bucks, I don't see how a recording bassist or one doing a lot of different kinds of gigging would not want one in the toolkit.

The Ashbory is not truly a substitute for a double bass, but it is a unique specialty instrument in its own right. At least these guys thought so.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think something else that needs to be mentioned is that a lot of people don't take the Ashbory seriously because of its price.

The reason the Ashbory is so cheap is that it is an extremely simple and small instrument compared to a conventional bass.

There are no frets or trussrods or large amounts of wood and raw materials. With the exception of the Ashworth pickup and transducer bridge and their circuitry, there's almost nothing there.

Actually, the Ashbory is somewhat overpriced, if anything.

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    How about stringing it with flatwounds??:bassist: :hyper: :bag:

19. how about stringing a bass with rubbers? :D

20. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Heh, I think you're quite right :) If I wasn't looking at it, I'd be hard pressed to tell that it was actually a rubber-stringed, toy-looking, half-scaled bass :D
    This is the first time I've actually seen/heard one and I think it sounds really interesting. Not quite DBish, but not too far away either :)
    - you might want to compare it to the soundclip provided on the <a href="http://www.roballenguitars.com/media/Audiofolder/MB-2.mp3">Rob Allen MB2</a> webpage

Have fun! :D