Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashbory bass string problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Feb 10, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Ive done enough research to see that the Ashbory seesm to offer a lot of promise to those who want a poor mans upright sound. Anyone know if there is a solution to the breaking string (especially G string) problem. I was seriously going to buy one but i'll be da$^&* if im going to buy something that needs a $14 set of strings every few weeks or so. I have heard of someone producing "G string by the foot" in rolls, or perhaps someone has come up with an alternate string solution.
    Im sketpical but hopeful on this one....

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yep, right here.

I got some bulk G from Mike about a year ago, replaced the G and it's still good as new.

Break-in time on new Ashbory strings is very long, so be warned. It takes a while before they stop stretching, like a couple of weeks. This is normal.

Good luck!

3. The OEM G string for me break in about two weeks, which is unnacceptable. They take about two weeks to stabilize.

I ordered a metre of G string from Mike. It was only $6.50 or something and included shipping. I have not had any problems and it is a superior string. I think he gets them from an O-ring factory. The upside is you probably will never replace the rest of the strings.

I have heard the D-string can occasionally snap too so I should have ordered some of that too.

But I love playing this little bass.

4. Which Ashbory did you get (Original, DeArmond or current (just has Ashbory in script on the front, Fender branded on back of headstock))? I've got one of the current crop, in blue. The 19 inch scale takes a minute to get used to, but it is a blast to play.

5. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    wow, thanks so much for that link. im also glad to hear, if im not wrong, that the replacement string material may in fact be superior. thank god for the marketplace.
    anyone want to weigh in on any issues as to whether there is any advantage to the new model vs. older? the only thing i had heard was a passive/active switch on the old guild (?).

6. There is actually a site dedicated to the Ashbory, www.largesound.com (I don't think that is against the rules...). They have a fairly thorough comparison with some decent pictures, though it compares the DeArmond and Fender versions mainly. The Guild and pre-mass produced ones are tough to find. That site also has some other useful info for Ashbory owners, though it doesn't see a lot of use.

7. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    The problem I have with the replacement G is that it is significantly brighter and louder sounding. And it's not like the rest are old, it snapped within the first month :)

Troll

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The FMIC Ashborys are made by Cor-Tek ("Cort") and are, according to Nigel Thornbory, the best of all the Ashbory incarnations.

The problem with the old FMIC "DeArmond" strings appears to be that they were from bad silicone stock. The current FMIC "Ashbory" strings look different and supposedly aren't breakage-prone. I dunno.

I got my Ashbory used with a wad of strings sets minus the G, so a metre of G stock from Mike will last me for the next lifetime.

Mike is a good guy and quick with order fulfillment. There's no reason any more to let this old G string problem prevent anyone from goofing around with a unique and very interesting instrument that is available very inexpensively.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The biggest problem with the Guilds were the gawdawful tuners. The current ones are an immense improvement.

As I mentioned in the previous message, Nigel Thornbory says that the FMIC Ashborys are the best. As the co-inventor, he should know.

10. I have the "De Armond" FMIC in black. The name "De Armond" is Guild's glorified way of saying "crafted in Korea", and a damn fine way of saying it IMO. I just like the emblem better than the ones that just say "Ashbory."

I paid $204 for mine new w/case. The ones on largesound are $240. Used ones are around $175 on ebay,, but stay away from the originals, since they are inferior. Build quality is not important on these, but both the tuners and electronics are much better than the originals.

It was a tough choice between black and "Moon Blue." I dig the metal flake on the moon blue. Not to morph the thread, but the only mods I am planning are some sort of a string tree for the E and A and to replace the red LED lamp with an ultra cool Blue one. I have bought the sliderite and a set of strings from Brock Frazier at Large Sound. Good guy to deal with. Obvisously sells as a hobby, given how cheap everything is and how small his market is.

11. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Im liking the idea of getting one of these merely for the subversive satisfaction of playing what looks like a toy but sounds huge. Anyone want to weigh in on playing the Ashbory in a live setting?

12. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    I used mine once in a funk gig setting

total PHATNESS!!

the band really dug the sound