Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashbory bass strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have suffered the ultimate indignity of the G string on my Ashbory snapping spontaneously. I've heard rumours that there is some better strings out there than the ones Fender offers. Could anybody enlighten me about this?

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Sure.

First, I think the newer Ashbory strings Fender is selling are better than the earlier batch. They look different and seem to last OK. My G's been on for months and hasn't busted yet.

However...the real solution for all your G-less sets is to drop a line to Mike Tavener, who sells a superior bulk G and D replacement stock. It's essentially the same as the regular Ashbory string material, only more durable. I asked Mike a few weeks ago how long one should expect a G to last and he told me that the current G on his much-used Ashbory's been on for over a year with no sign of failing. That's good enough for me!

Here is a link to Mike's site. For US$13.00 (by PayPal), Mike will airmail you a length of G long enough for four new G strings. Mike's very conscientious about service and I recommend him without reservation.

I love my Ashbory, and it's nice to have an answer that solves this well-known problem.