Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashbory bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bent23, Feb 3, 2001.

1. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    A number of people seem to regard this instrument as ...well....A TOY. Granted , with an 18" fretless fingerboard and silicone rubber strings it is an ODD beast. But I don't consider it a toy. Quite a few renowned bassists are known to own an Ashbory. Why do so many people consider it less than a true bass?

Bring it on....

2. While I agree that the Ashbory does look very odd. It has a great tone. My friend bought one a couple months ago and he let me try it out. At first it takes some getting used in order to play it but eventually you realize just how phat the sound is.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I tried one in a local store for about 10-15 min & I put it right back on the wall. :( Did absolutly nothing for me, sound wise. Yes it is very odd/cool, but it's not for everyone. There was a reason Guild discontuinued it!!! I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. Yeah, I'll take it & put it on eBay!!! :)

4. I have an Ashbory reissue and it definitly aint no toy!
    I love that little thang.
    The sound is what is so impressive.On tape I've had people swear it was an upright.Live,people bug out over how unique and strange it looks.The reason I feel so many people think its a toy is because of the size.An 18" scale is strange at first.The good thing is that you can stretch like 6-7 frets,now that aint no toy!