Ashbory Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Hey, has anyone playedd or owned a DeArmond or Guild Ashbory Bass? I thing they're kind of cool and I might get one. What's the action like in a bass that short?
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I haven't owned one but i tried out 1 or 2 & loved the way they sounded & felt. The action felt good didn't buzz. the scale felt weird @ first but after a few minutes the weirdness went away & it felt like a home to be. Once i get the cash for one I'm fairly sure i'm gonna buy one. hope that answers your question. thats all
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The ashbory bass is fretless, so of course it doesn't buzz. I played one of these in a store a while ago and from what I remember the sound is remarkable for such a small instrument. The silicon strings feel kind of wierd at first but I guess it would be pretty easy to get used to them. One problem I did notice is that on the bass I played the 4th string would pop out of the nut if you plucked it too hard with your finger. It might just be a problem with the single bass I played, but you should check it out and see for yourself.
  4. I like the Ashbory basses a lot. I havn't owned one but I've played them. They are a little hard to play because the strings are so loose and big. They sound coool though- like a standup bass. I wouldn't record with one or anything but it would be really fun to play one at a show just because they're so wierd. I think that's half the reason why I like them.
    Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police
  5. I seriously looked at one. The tone is very "acoustic" and woody which I liked but I found the instrument to be somewhat limited in dynamic range and the amount of different tone colours available.

I decided, for me, a much better option for a very woody fretless tone was the Godin A4 fretless which also sounds very acoustic but since it is much more like a standard electric bass, it is capable of a lot more variety in tone, dynamics and articulation. Besides, because of the normal size, the Godin takes very little getting used to. The other great thing about the Godin is that the workmanship is really superb.

Of course, the Godin is a little more expensive (in fact, it's almost twice the price I guess) but it definitely is a bass I use a lot, whereas I suspect the Ashbory might wind up being used more as a novelty. I do think they are a neat little bass though.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    The size is a good & bad thing. The small size allows it to be played with very little pressure on your shoulder. It also makes you push down on the side of it to get the resistance that your used 2 & to help steady the thing. A good thing bout the small size is that they can fit in a lot of places including the small school lockers we have. A bad thing is since the bass is so small it does take some getting used to & it can seem like it's not on right when it is.The bass tone would be great if you need a very upright tone. I plan to use it for slow songs & songs where an upright just would sound better but i don't have an upright nor do i want one. Ok thats all
  7. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I'm an Ashbory owner/operator...

The short scale was fairly easy for me to get used to, but I also play guitar so maybe that helped. I find anything above the 12 fret to be pretty useless but, I play mostly below the 10th fret on any bass so it doesn't matter to me.

Anything else you'd like to know?