Ashbory (Guild/DeArmond/Fender) Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Mar 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I saw a red Ashbory, a project bass, for $300 and shipping was up there.

2. Whoa. You got good stuff. I'm running out of a Peavy (70s I might add) 200W head into a 15.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. That is a really cool piece of history. Thanks for showing it.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  4. I wish I had friends like yours!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I’m still playing Ashborys!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I’m still playing Ashborys. Gig last Thursday with vibist and drummer at Rhizome. 21st Century classical music. (a little Polka Funk)

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Had a tuning post bind. My tech said get some spare parts. So I immediately searched and found a backup to the other backup backup. Then I disassembled the tuner. Lubricated where it touches the body plus the gears. Loosened screw. Good as new.

The backup arrived. Red. Handsome. Great price. Mint condition. Great seller. Jet at SaddleUp Fine Guitars. Included a set of strings as G had broken. (OEM Ashbory gig bag’s fault) E tuner kept spinning loose. You can string your E to the other side of the post so the string is far straighter through the nut. Or any string that you choose. Disassembled that one. Post threads in reverse into string holder. It would just come out. I red loctited that. It’s all good now. So I don’t actually have a parts bass. My bad!

Finished all this service. Ashbory was lying on a soft towel on a 100+ year old oak kitchen table. Not plugged in. Plucked the open strings. Big roar from this whole instrument.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  8. Hijinx1812

Hijinx1812 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Michigan
    What’s a fair price for an ashbory? I’m about to acquire one & will decide on keeping/selling it after I run it through an amp and mess around with it!

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Depending on condition. $250-$400.
    That red one on EBay is too high priced. The seller not a instrument seller is matching it to one red one that’s been for sale for a year and is in Japan.
    Make sure tuners work. If they bind there is an easy maintenance fix mentioned above.
    When you play it just don’t look at the lines just play it.
    The original gig bag can break G strings. If it’s intact and you like the bass find a Baritone Uke case at MF. You fold a small piece of cloth beneath back of Ashbory lower bout to level it. The ones at Amazon are cheap imitations.
    Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    TolerancEJ and Hijinx1812 like this.
  10. Hijinx1812

Hijinx1812 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Michigan
    Thanks a lot!

11. Mind if I join your group? An opportunity to buy an original Guild popped up from nowhere, so I took it. I suddenly came to the realization that I badly need some tutorials on its care; that is what led me to this group. Thanks already for the info. This may be for sale again if I find my caretaker skills insufficient, but first I will check with my local luthier. C48B466C-573C-4A79-8A6C-161EE35F71C7.jpeg

TolerancEJ likes this.
  12. @terribletee56 Absolutely! Here you go.

#1 TolerancEJ
    #2 Kaiuk
    #3 RobJ
    #4 scotch
    #5 makz
    #6 DanAleks
    #7 RonSound
    #8 mongo2
    #9 jags
    #10 froovs
    #11 Luv2Pla4U
    #12 uomocane
    #13 Jazzbassman23
    #14 spigmu
    #15 C20Dog
    #16 djetz
    #17 Benjamin Strange
    #18 chadds
    #19 Flashback Bass
    #20 Farmerboymusic
    #21 nancyr
    #22 widerberg
    #23 heymelbs
    #24 Plainman
    #25 BobRussell
    #26 Bowe
    #27 RockNRollAl
    #28 c10
    #29 themensch
    #30 charl39
    #31 filobanks
    #32 farace
    #33 AshboryWarrior
    #34 IntelligentWail
    #35 terribletee56

13. Thank you. Unfortunately, I have decided I need to sell it, as I have gotten into a cash flow problem. I paid $400 for it so will let it go for that price, plus whatever it may cost to ship. It does have the original gig bag plus extra strings and pegs.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Ohh...
    I thought I'd joined this club, but apparently never did it formally.

I was a Guild dealer '77-'88, and kinda pushed the store owner to get an Ashbory as soon as I saw one. I eventually got my own DeArmond one and appreciate the much better tuning machines. Tried a lot strings over the 20 or so years I've had it, but settled on Aquiala Thunder Guts . The set I put on in August 2015 are still great, even storing it in the DeArmond bag.

15. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I have an original Guild Ashbory, but when the original pickup died and I had to do a small bit of surgery to fit the Fender replacement I decided to drill a few more holes and retrofit the geared tuners as well. It's an enormous improvement. The friction tuners were abominable. I use the Thunderguts as well. I liked the original strings when Guild was still in Westerly, but the newer silicone strings don't sound as good to my ears (they looked different, too--the Westerly strings were more clear, the later ones more cloudy), and fail too easily, with or without being in the case. The Thunderguts are far less sticky, too.

We've formed a one-off zydeco band (les Haricots Magique)for a Mardi Gras event next month, and I decided for laughs to forgo my usual Rickenbacker and stick with the Ashbory for this gig.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Coming from a classical background I had no difficulty with the Guild pegs. I do appreciate the subtle upgrades the Dearmonds have though. Yes the original strings were musical in that you could play any note you wanted anywhere. The Fender versions were poor imitations but are okay. The newer versions designed for the Ukes have less playing area and are a different beast. There are so many types that we can pick our preference. Yes I’ve tried them all! :)

17. #36 JTE :)

18. #1 TolerancEJ
    #2 Kaiuk
    #3 RobJ
    #4 scotch
    #5 makz
    #6 DanAleks
    #7 RonSound
    #8 mongo2
    #9 jags
    #10 froovs
    #11 Luv2Pla4U
    #12 uomocane
    #13 Jazzbassman23
    #14 spigmu
    #15 C20Dog
    #16 djetz
    #17 Benjamin Strange
    #18 chadds
    #19 Flashback Bass
    #20 Farmerboymusic
    #21 nancyr
    #22 widerberg
    #23 heymelbs
    #24 Plainman
    #25 BobRussell
    #26 Bowe
    #27 RockNRollAl
    #28 c10
    #29 themensch
    #30 charl39
    #31 filobanks
    #32 farace
    #33 AshboryWarrior
    #34 IntelligentWail
    #35 terribletee56
    #36 JTE

19. Ashbory08

Ashbory08

Mar 25, 2020
    Count me as number #37 I only started playing the ashbory a month ago. I bought it for 150 euros or in USD approximately 165. I changed the strings to Aquila thunderguts and I think that it makes the ashbory much better. Used the silicone for a week and I had 2 g strings snap off in that time ps: I think I might have the #100 fender ashbory made

Attached Files:

TolerancEJ likes this.
  20. @Ashbory08 Sorry about the delay. I hadn't dropped in for a few days. Here you go!

#1 TolerancEJ
    #2 Kaiuk
    #3 RobJ
    #4 scotch
    #5 makz
    #6 DanAleks
    #7 RonSound
    #8 mongo2
    #9 jags
    #10 froovs
    #11 Luv2Pla4U
    #12 uomocane
    #13 Jazzbassman23
    #14 spigmu
    #15 C20Dog
    #16 djetz
    #17 Benjamin Strange
    #18 chadds
    #19 Flashback Bass
    #20 Farmerboymusic
    #21 nancyr
    #22 widerberg
    #23 heymelbs
    #24 Plainman
    #25 BobRussell
    #26 Bowe
    #27 RockNRollAl
    #28 c10
    #29 themensch
    #30 charl39
    #31 filobanks
    #32 farace
    #33 AshboryWarrior
    #34 IntelligentWail
    #35 terribletee56
    #36 JTE
    #37 Ashbory08

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021