Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashbory opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Feb 24, 2005.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Talk me into or out of getting an Ashbory bass.
    On one hand:
    I have six basses, actually seven but one is going to be given away (Im a terrible salesman). I hardly play. My band has done two parties and two open mics in a a year and half and is always in danger of breaking up (but we did do a nice recording session and actually got some noncommercial radio play). I work nights (but have Friday ad Saturday off). I get through my bass lessons by cramming the night before like im still in college. My credit cards are maxed and my anniversay and my wife's birthday are coming up. I had no interest in fretless bass, until now.
    On the other:
    I'm going away on vacation next week. We have a gig (ok a another open mic) the night after i come back. It will be all new songs. I dont want to carry a real bass on the plane (even though i have two short scales). The thought of playing this this at my brother's Mexican beach house (he's the businessman in the family) gives me a warm feeling. I've already mentioned it to my wife and she did not have a fit. Maybe she's given up.
    I see it for like $259 online. I dont know of any place near me (Long Island) that has it.
    I do travel a lot.
    Most important, it's cute.
    Will my limited skills keep me from enjoying this?
    Even more important: What's the best color? Im thinking black because it looks less like a toy. But maybe blue ...

2. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    It is not a 'traveller' bass, neither is it a fretless bass - it's pretty much on its own as an instrument. Plays nothing like a regular bass (rubber strings!)

If you want one for travelling, get a steinberger.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Check out some Peter Gabriel's tunes (don't remember one in particular). It sounds more like an upright than like an electric bass. Also want to get one in the near future.

ANDRUCA

4. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    How is it not a traveler? i dont mean for taking on road with a band, just for personal play and practice. A Steinberger is still a full sized isntrument.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Love town

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    As an owner of an Ashbory, I can tell you that 'practice' on this bass does NOT translate to anything on the electric or fretless. The right hand attack used is different, the left hand technique is different as you have to make sure you aren't stretching the strings when you fret/release the notes. Scale length, neck shape, string spacing, etc are all different.

And, unless you also plan to spend some more money on a headphone amp, it will be useless on any trip as all you will hear acoustically is 'flop flop flop.'

Now,I love my Ashbory and use it frequently on blues gigs. But, I don't think it is what you want it to be.

7. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Get one anyway though, they're great.

Our Cypress Hill medley just doesn't sound right without it. :D

8. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Like my original message said, which color?

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    blue

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had one for a while and didn't find it too practical. It takes its own technique to play and it has its own sound (not really like an upright and not like other electrics). I guess it could be OK for fun, but I didn't use mine enough in band situations to keep it.

Peter Gabriel's Love Town does sound cool though.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They are a great addition for the bassist that has everything. Just be careful when you are running it through an 18" - you might break something. Like your house.

Get the blue one.

[​IMG]

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got a blue one. It currently has 3 strings-a G snapped awhile back and since i don't play it anymore-i haven't replaced it. The sound is very unique. I like it though. I haven't had the chance to use it in a band setting anymore though since due to high school band directors-if they want an uprightish tone-i either play an upright, or i palm mute my electrics. I like the ashbory-thought bout selling it for awhile, but i plan on keeping it just to have. A nice novelty bass.

That's all

13. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    i travel quite a bit, not as a musician though! but id like to have something super portable and the fact it might fit into our acoustic set (although i do have a jasmine ABG) seems to seal the deal.
    Some say practicing on it though will not translate into playing a "real" bass. i think it would have to in a way. If i was just playing the same songs on a regular guitar it would help. Anything would at my level!

14. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    byrdsfan,

I use an Ashbory (a black one!) for just the purpose you mention-- I travel a good bit on business and I use it to practice on. Paired with a headphone amp (I use a Tascam CD bass Trainer) it makes the perfect hotel room practice set up.

I've even used it in live performance. It never fails to get a snicker or comment until you plug it in and turn on the amp. Then it's like "WHOA! that thing has some serious bottom end!".

It can be tuned BEAD if you like, and has a killer B.

A few things to know if you get one:
    -you'll need to use a little talc on your hands so your fingers will slide and not stick on the strings (billiard supply stores sell little bags called Slyde Rite that are perfect)
    -google up a guy named Mike Tavener in the UK who sells single 'g' strings that are made of tougher silicone than the stock 'g'. You'll need to get one or two of these since the g strings are notorious for breaking
    -many owners have moved the bottom strap button for better balance-- most move it to a location just above the jack
    -I know a few folks have added string retainers at the headstock to increase downforce over the nut (better tone) and keep the strings from jumping out of the nut (hey, we all like to dig hard, eh?). I added a string tree (bar type) that I found on ebay for less than $5-- I recommend this mod

Ashbory's have their idosyncracies but thay ROCK!

15. "Ashbory Basses are sick disgusting mutants and should be outlawed IMMEDIATELY"
    -Steve Wishnevsky

(not really...but I thought it was funny)

16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Here's the link...

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ashborystring

Thanks for the info dunamis! I'm planning to buy one this year and it's always good to know such things.

ANDRUCA

17. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    dunamis, andruca - thanks alot guys!!

Good idea about the string tree, I'll have to check that one out. Any pics of places that strap button move?

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I picked up some of the g strings from Mike, and they work great. I'm still on the first 1/4 of the string. It's a drastic improvement over the stock string.

I'm going to have to try the string tree idea. It'll certainly be easier than taking the extra time to get the best wrap with that rubber. :meh:

My Ashbory sounds great on jump blues and swing and a bunch of other stuff.

It's also fun to crank the treble, play with a pick, and heavily compress it. :D

[​IMG]

I like black.

19. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Instead of using a string tree, wind the E backwards. Keeps it from popping off the nut when digging in.

I never really have used my ashbory other than noodling around, and am looking to dump it.

Troll

20. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I am a couple days from converting my ashbory to the new geared tuners... those old guild ones are something nasty.