Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashbory problem - SNAP!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gus Autine, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    Does anyone else have a problem with the Ashbory's G string spontaneously popping (most often it seems, on the way to a gig)? I have never once had it happen while I was playing, and none of the other strings has ever broken.

While it has broken most often near the head, because of how far the silicone strings stretch, I can't tell where exactly on the instrument the string broke. The nut doesn't appear to have a sharp edge, and the G string has snapped in various places, including down near the bridge.

Is this just poor QC and a fact of life that goes along with using an Ashbory?

Or could there be flaw I can't see in the nut that is responsible for at least some of the string failures?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. (I would especially appreciate hearing if anyone has succeeded in getting Fender/DeArmond to sell individual G strings.)

Thanks.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've heard rumour that you can just order lengths of the rubber that is used and cut new strings off the reel as you need them. I'm not an expert (I've had one quick go on an Ashbory a couple of months ago) but the LargeSound website looks like it could be useful.

Wulf
    ;)

3. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the link to the Largesound site. I was unaware of it.

I just checked the FAQ section and found the following post (that was posted yesterday):

"Since the Ashbory is known for breaking G strings, would anyone know where I could get JUST the G string?...I already have a few D, A and E strings lying about because I had to buy the whole set.
    Has anyone found out if any extruded silicon of the same diameter can be used...I would imagine it would be decidedly cheaper. We could probably get the stuff in rolls for a few bucks..."

4. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    Several posts at LargeSound.com report precisely the same problem, and suggest detuning the strings while not in use.

I'll give this a try.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So was I until I asked my friend, Mr Google ;)

Still, glad it turned out to be a useful resource.

Wulf

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I've never heard of that happeneing.

Not the G-string breaking. I mean someone taking an Ashbory to a gig!;)

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, the G string is notorious for breaking while in storage.

I have read on the FDP that the new strings are better about G breakage, but I can't attest to the truth of the claim.

Eventually, I imagine I'll pick one of these up and I'll know more about it firsthand.

Detuning when not in use seems a prudent step.