Ashbory soundclips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElBajista, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Does anyone have any recorded soundclips of their Ashbory bass? I've heard that they sound more like an upright than an electric, but I'd like to hear for myself.

2. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Tony Levin played one on Peter Gabriel's "Lovetown"; it's a great groove you should check out.

But, to me, it's always sounded like a really deep fretless more than an upright (and I've played 'em).
  3. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  4. froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    no offence to the largesound folks but ive always thought the sound example on that is really very poor

to really get an handle on how an ashbory sounds you need to witness it in person being played through a quality celan sounding amp with plently of headroom

not by a guitar player poorly miked through a small amp

played the right way i would challenge anyone to tell the difference between an ashbory and a decent electric upright

but calling them a cheap way to get a pseudo upright tone is selling them short

they have many other sounds to be brought out and explored

theyre a valid instrument in their own right - not just a means to an end

5. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    cool clip! Thanks!

I checked out that song, and I LOVE the tone! Makes me even more anxious for my Ashbory to come! Thanks!

Wow, I'll have to spend some more time lurking there. Thanks for the link!

I thought that the sound quality wasn't exactly the best either, but it does help to give an idea of the general ballpark of tone that the Ashbory basses are in.

I'll be able to do this myself in a few days. :hyper: :hyper:

I intend to do a lot of exploring, and I can't wait for my bass to come! This is the longest weekend of my life.
  6. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I like these clips, makes me want to dig out my ashbory again and give it some more rep time.

Just watch getting too close to 0db when recording.
  7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Cool, I didn't know that you could still purchase one of these!
  8. if i remember well i found a video with a guy explaining all about ashbory and also there was he playing some was on googlevideo or for it!hope it helps!
  9. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    To me, the reason the Ashbory sounds more like an acoustic upright than most EUB's is that it seems to match the signal decay profile much better.
  10. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    This is very true, especially with the right techniques employed.
  11. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Has anyone ever heaqrd of this concept tried on a bit longer scale length? It's downright tough to get good intonation up that itty bitty neck.
  12. I believe it has been attempted but it doesn't really work with different scale lengths. I do remember there was a guy making a version that was hollow or semi-hollow and resembled a nice mandolin visually. The name of the guy making them escapes me at the moment. I would like to find one that uses something other than a piezo for a pickup.
  13. war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    The strings do not seem to sustain much at all.

I guess it makes sense with such a short scale
    and rubber strings.

Would'nt one of those half sized basses with frets
    and steel strings sound better?
  14. acquaforte

Aug 20, 2006