Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashbory Users: D for a G?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Mar 5, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm sure you all have had the "spontaneously snapping G string" going on (please, never mind the obvious jokes :rolleyes: ).

I was wondering if anyone had tried using a D for a G. If so, how did it work out? I'm guessing it wouldn't snap as much. The nut would have to be altered somehow, I suppose.

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for avoiding chronic G breakage? That could get real annoying real fast.

2. I always thought that the reason the G snapped so freakin' much (I am currently without a spare right now...) was that it was too thick, and therefore the tension was perhaps too much so that even some minor flaw could cause it to snap.
    Since the D is thicker, I'm not sure this would solve much, and might be worse. The sets of strings are not too costly though, so if you want to give it a try, you could.
    If I get around to buying a new set of strings (if they sold individual strings, I'd guess I'd probably never have to buy a full set again), I'll probably just tune it BEAD and be done with it.
    One other thing to avoid breakage is to really detune the D and G strings when you're not playing the bass.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Thanks man.

I think I'm going to try keeping the thing tuned down a couple of steps - the feel of the G was always a little too taut compared to the others, I found.

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you think the tension is too high on your current G, you could try a lighter gage G to see if that helps. A few years ago one could purchase a Billy Sheehan Rotosound set that had a Heavier E and a lighter G than the normal Rotosound set.
    Several sites also sell individual strings. Check your current string size and look for individual strings on www.juststrings.com for a size slightly smaller.
    I have found that Nickel strings tend to break faster/more often than Steel strings. It may have something to do with the strength of the metal. Steel strings tends to be rougher on the fretboard and fingers but they last longer for me.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:)

I don't think that Rotosound makes strings that will work with an Ashbory, since it uses silicone rubber strings.;)

6. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I've only had one "snapping G", but it was because I hadn't changed them in too long and the silicone just broke down with age...