Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Oct 13, 2000.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am still considering getting an ashbory bass for fun. Does anyone have one of these and what is your feeling on it? I know it is basically a novelty, but from what I can tell it has a unique sound (none of my local stores have one to try).
    Does any one know of any recordings that use it? I have heard that the Peter Gabriel song "Lovetown" uses it (and I like the bass sound on that song), but I wanted to know of other recordings with it.
    Thanks for any info

2. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi, the Ashbory is more than a novelty. It is quite an instrument. Seek out the website for it. Your browser will have several choices. This bass has tremendous fundamental and when played with touch and taste can sound like an upright or serious dub. A music store told me that they plugged one in to a huge Trace rig and it just blew out the store. I use one through small to large SWR gear it all kinds of settings. There are times when the electric bass sound isn't it! Read up I don't use the talc approach as the early brochures discussed. Just the right touch. If you own one try resting it on your clavical in an upright vertical position while sitting. The sound and the feel are amazing. I gigged once to twice week for all of 1998 on one actually using it more out then my traditional axes. Thanks.
  3. BigBottom

Aug 29, 2000
    I love mine...don't play it at every gig, but when I do it brings a totally new feel to whatever the material is...people say is can sound like an upright, and it gets close, but it really has it's own unique sound...very punchy and full, particularly if EQd judiciously.