Ashbroy Rubber Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Propyro, Nov 23, 2003.

1. [​IMG]

so has any one ever taken one of these things for a spin? iv'e heard one from a video fo a live King crimson concert in Rome and these things sound pretty cool. Plus seems like something that would work out well for trabeling since they're only 18" long ... and according to the site their only about $280 ... hmmm.

2. According to what i've read they sound like contrabasses......hmmm cool!:D
  3. there is a sound clip on the website ... a 340k mp3. I havne't listened to it yet, but from what i heard KC's bass player do it was pretty cool ... ironicaly it had a very rubery sound to it ... :rolleyes:

4. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I love the huge sound and it is loads of fun to play. While I am not a fretless player, I was able to get comfortable on the Ashbory in a short amount of time.

However, because the G string is subject to frequent, unprovoked popping (most often in the case - - on the way to a gig), I have learned to leave it at home.
  5. hey can you hear it if you play it acousticly? i ahve a habbit of playing my guitar acoustic, and i do that a lot with basses in guitar shops. But i have a feeling it's not something thats very audiable with out being plugged in.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I've played the Ashbory. It sounds absolutely nothing like a double bass. It has its own sound and feel. It produces almost no sound acoustically. It's an interesting little diversion.
  7. Yes, my buddy Paul "Polo" Jones has one and, we did a couple of tracks in the studio with his, I absolutlely loved it.

I was really amazed at the tone it produced.

Very hollow sounding, yet acoustic, kinda! The strings are nylon too.

8. actualy ... according to the web site these things use a kind of Silicon rubber strings ... unless your buddy did his own thing with the strings. But personaly i think these thigns are pretty bloody cool, and pretty inexpensive, which puts them on my relative near future shopping list, not above the RBX170 i have on my mind, but above the Rickenbacker.