Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown 180 watt electric blue combo over SWR etc for small amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erik_hammarlund, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Looking at lower-end stuff for practice/jamming (no gigging out until I get better). Mix of all styles, from basic blues to rock to (someday) funk.

Fender Rumble 60 (not Bassman 60)(60w, 12")
    Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180 (180w, 12") (http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ASDEB12180)
    SWR LA12 (60w, 12")
    Behringer BX1200 (120w, 12")
    Crate BX100 (100w, 15")

They're all about the same amount ($240-$270). That's all I can afford, so don't bother telling me 'go get a Workingman 15' or 'get a half stack'. The Ashdown seems crazy cheap for what you get; anyone have comments? I have heard many reliability issues with the Behringer which make me nervous. I have the Rumble but it's noisy as hell and I think I may return it. Anyone have more experience who can give info? Help!

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have the eb 150watt 2x10 and its an excellent amp. a very loud 150 watts, nice tone, and i really like the subwave generator.

i'd give mine an 8 out of 10.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would pickup a Workingmans 12 off of E-Bay. You can find them between $250-300 easily. Great for practice, and you can eventually play in a band situation and gig small gigs with it. They sound fantastic too. Better than the other combos you listed IMO.

4. Ya know, I use ebay... but not for a bass amp. Shipping's too expensive, and you don't get to look at the amp first.

in terms of new stuff, any comments?

E

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown make awesome amps.