Ashdown 180 watt electric blue combo over SWR etc for small amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erik_hammarlund, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Looking at lower-end stuff for practice/jamming (no gigging out until I get better). Mix of all styles, from basic blues to rock to (someday) funk.

Fender Rumble 60 (not Bassman 60)(60w, 12")
    Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180 (180w, 12") (http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ASDEB12180)
    SWR LA12 (60w, 12")
    Behringer BX1200 (120w, 12")
    Crate BX100 (100w, 15")

They're all about the same amount ($240-$270). That's all I can afford, so don't bother telling me 'go get a Workingman 15' or 'get a half stack'. The Ashdown seems crazy cheap for what you get; anyone have comments? I have heard many reliability issues with the Behringer which make me nervous. I have the Rumble but it's noisy as hell and I think I may return it. Anyone have more experience who can give info? Help!

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have the eb 150watt 2x10 and its an excellent amp. a very loud 150 watts, nice tone, and i really like the subwave generator.

i'd give mine an 8 out of 10.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would pickup a Workingmans 12 off of E-Bay. You can find them between $250-300 easily. Great for practice, and you can eventually play in a band situation and gig small gigs with it. They sound fantastic too. Better than the other combos you listed IMO.

4. Ya know, I use ebay... but not for a bass amp. Shipping's too expensive, and you don't get to look at the amp first.

in terms of new stuff, any comments?

E

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Ashdown make awesome amps.