1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown 200, or Wait?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goannaman, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Goannaman

Goannaman

Dec 8, 2006
    Clermont, FL
    Hi, I am fairly new to playing bass. I started a few years back, but due to some personal issues put it aside until now. I am starting up again with a spector performer 4. I was thinking of getting an Ashdown Mag 300H head, and a mag 2x10 cab to start.

I kind of want to go with the head/ cab setup, so I can upgrade a bit easier when I want/ need to. I can get the Ashdown 300 for 299.99. But I can get a deal on the 200, about sixty less.

For a person of my skill (i.e. limited) do you think I am going to regret not spending the extra sixty for the extra 100 amps?

Thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes.

3. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    Speaking from experience with the MAG 200, If you're playing with a moderately loud drummer, the 200 watt Ashdown probably will NOT be loud enough if you like somewhat of a deep, old-school bass tone.

It was my home practice amp but I took it to a rehearsal one night held on the stage of a very nice club to serve only as my stage monitor. It wasn't loud enough for me in this role, let alone if there was no pa support.

IMO, if it's just you at home practicing, it would be perfect. Otherwise, if you're playing with a drummer, hold out for something like a 500 watter or more.

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I think the Mag 200 was made in England, where the MAG 300 is made in China, if that makes a difference to you.

I had a MAG 300R untill it was stolen around easter, no gripes but I usually don't play with overly loud drummers.

5. Goannaman

Goannaman

Dec 8, 2006
    Clermont, FL
    While it's always cool to get something that isn't made in China...

It seems like the best route for now, would be to get a decent combo for $300 or under, and then in six months to a year get a head in the 500w range.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like the MAG 200 is going to be overkill for home practice in my spare bedroom, but not enough for live play in a rock band (unless there is PA support).

If I am missing something, let me know, other wise I am going to start looking at combos.