1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ashdown 210T compact vibrating and rattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTOZP, Jul 6, 2014.

1. GTOZP

GTOZP

Apr 5, 2014
    hello.....
    I'm driving a Ashdown 410ABM and a 210T compact (both Made in UK) by separate volume channels
    of a QSC GX5 amp
    the 210 is vibrating and rattling when I play an E5 E3 or E0 note
    I took the cover off but it is the whole cabinet especially the top
    which is the problem, when I lay my hamd on it I can feel the vibration
    the QSC is max. at half volume... the 410 is quiet
    but already at a quarter of volume the single 210 is moving around
    when placed on top of the non-working 410
    would some additional wood inside the box between the bottom and top
    stabilize it???

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    It sounds like you might be overdriving the cab. What does Max at half volume mean? Is it that you have the Attenuator at half? What ate you running the bass through for a preamp? What are the settings on the preamp and the bass Tone/Vol Or preamp controls. The position of the attenuator control means very little. You can set that control at 9:00 and push it with a preamp to full power if you feed it enough voltage. Also if you are running the 410 and 210 at the same time you will kill the 210 if you make it try to keep up sound level wise with the 410.

3. GTOZP

GTOZP

Apr 5, 2014
    the preamp is a Ashdown EVO III... the amp inside is dead... I use it as a preamp
    the GX5 is for amplification..... the vol. for the 210 is max. to the half of the possible GX5 vol. control
    the master vol. on the ashdown is full up.... the input gain is at twelve or one o'clock
    tone control is flat, the prefixed EQ-setting is engaged
    the 210 should only add a little fundament to the 410, if I need more volume I thought it is better
    running the additional 210 than driving the 410 to the limit

4. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    Try the 210 by itself at moderate volume. If the 10s are not raspy-sounding maybe they are not half-blown. Turn it up gradually and when they start to get raspy is your maximum level. Don't expect any more loudness. OR, your cabinet may have loosened up at the corners.It is buzzing and it needs to be reglued.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    That power amp is capable pf 500 watts with an 8 ohm cab . Your 210t is an 8 0hm cab rated at 200 watts(probably thermal rating) so more like 150 watts rms without causing damage. The position of that attenuator knob on the GX5 means nothing. With the way you have your pre amp set up you are most likely driving that power amp to neat full power and are overdriving that cab with 3 times as much power as it can take

6. GTOZP

GTOZP

Apr 5, 2014
    ok..... I see..... at the back stands 300W/8 Ohm
    would a pair of Eminence BP102 (200W) be a good replacement of the ashdown speakers
    or do you think the cabinet itself would not handle the power (it is a lot lighter than the 410)

7. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    A new ABM 410 is currently $600 at Sweetwater, free shipping. They weigh about 80lbs. and handle 650 watts RMS. That is my goal and two of these should command some respect. You may put better 10s in your 210 for $200 maybe. The sound will change big-time; my ABM 610 sounds great but I can't tote a 115 lb. cabinet up stairs . Ashdown has a neo 210 that is light ($700). Good Luck !

8. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    It won't matter what you put in that 210 for speakers it will never be able to keep up with the 410 volume wise. you would be much better off getting another 410 and running the matched pair if you really need that much air movement.. There are volume controls for a reason and you will find that if you push even close to the speakers RMS wattage they will make nasty sounds telling you to turn them down. Just because a cab is rated at 600 watts does not mean it can take that much constant power. That is usually the thermal limit where the voice coil melts, So you want to listen to your speakers for signs of being overdriven or you will be spending a lot of money for new speakers.

9. GTOZP

GTOZP

Apr 5, 2014
    I put the 210 alone on the floor and the vibration disappeared...
    the cabinet really sounded good and louder
    it only occurs stacked with the 410, also driven solo standing not on the floor
    I know that I can't turn the 210 to the same volume as the 410, but both cabs together give
    me a fullre sound if the gig location is a bit larger