Ashdown 2X10, 4X10, 1X15, or Avatar SB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BELLATOR, Sep 8, 2005.

Sep 7, 2005
    Hello Bassists. I just bought an Ashdown Mag 300H and am searching for a cab to accompany this head. Well, I have exhausted the search engine searching for information about Ashdown and Avatar Cabs. Originally, I wanted to go for an Avatar SB112 and later find a 2X10 to go on top. I am wondering which cabinets I have listed in the thread title are the best stand alone cabinets for the time being. I was told a 4X10 will give you the most low-end because it moves the most air but I find that hard to believe compared to 12" or 15" speakers. Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have Ashdown cabs with the head so now I am looking at their 2X10, 4X10, and 1X15 cabs. I would like to know which size of speaker will sound the clearest but still low-end bass rich. I do not like a mid range punchy bass sound so that is why I figured 12's and 15's would be an option over 10's. I play a lot with a pick so keep that in mind as well. Another question is which cabs should one buy first out of my list? Any advice or general information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    if you're comparing a 1x12 to a 4x10, the tens will likely have a bigger bottom...

but- to be more fair, why not compare a 2x12 to a 4x10? they're going to be the same size/shape/weight (er, well closer than 1x12 is to a 4x10).

my vote would be an avatar 2x12, not that i've played one... but with the descriptions i've read around here...
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have the B210 2x10 delta and SB112 1x12 Delta LF. the 2x10 does some KICK ASS mids. Very punchie and cuts thru like a chainsaw and the 1x12 handles a low B very well. Both are very portable. I've had Avatar 4x10's 1x15's other 1x12's (CB112), etc and I like the 2x10/1x12 stack the best out of all of em...
  4. Based on your description of not wanting a lot of punchy mids I would go with an SB112 now and get another one later. The B212 I have fits your tone description to a tee but I do wish I had gone with 2 SB 112's instead for flexibility reasons.