Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown 300 evo II or ashdown 500 evo II??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Sep 22, 2004.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    IM NEW HERE SO I HOPE IM PUTTING THIS IN THE RIGHT PLACE. IM BUYING AN ASHDOWN AMB EVOII HEAD AND CANT DECIDE IF I SHOULD GET THE 300 OR 500. I PLAY IN A COVER BAND THAT PLAYS SMALL BARS (200-800 PEOPLE) AND USE A GENZ-BENZ 6X10 CAB WITH A MODULUS FLEA BASS AND A MODULUS VJ4. MY OLD AMP IS A AMPEG SVTIII PRO(450WATT VERSION). IVE NEVER REALLY BEEN ABLE TO TURN IT UP LOUD ENOUGH TO GET A GOOD TONE. I USED TO HAVE AN OLDER SVTIII PRO (350 WATT VERSION) AND SEEMED TO GET A BETTER SOUND. IM LEANING TOWARDS THE 300 FOR THIS REASON. IVE ALSO READ ON HERE OF A WAY THAT I CAN MOD THE 300 TO A 500 INCASE I NEED MORE WATTAGE. ANY HELP OUT THERE? THANX MARK

2. i had the early version ABM EVO300 MK1 and it was ok but struggled a bit if only going to 8 ohms, it didnt sound anywhere close to my Ampeg Svt3 pro which was about as loud but tone was far better on the 3pro.

If you want Ashdown i would at least go for the EVO500 for better headroom and future bigger gigs

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Cool. I found it to be the other way around. My ABM 300 was louder and sounded better than my SVT3 pro. But sound is so subjective. The ABM was more detailed but could still do the warm muddy Ampeg tone. :bag:

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The modification I posted doesn't work for the ABM EVO II series I'm afraid...

5. I have a 300w ABM EVO II (combo version with 1x15" speaker) and i find it loud enough. I'm planning on buying a second 1x15" speakerbox for more volume when needed. I believe that using the right speakercab(s) is more important than having 200 extra watts... Your cab should do the trick :D

Just my two eurocents ;)

6. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    thanx for the responce. i am now a proud owner of a brand new ashdown amb 500 evo II. :bassist: :hyper:

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nice. Enjoy! :bassist:

8. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Cool,

I just ordered the same amp... hope you got a good deal... So what cabs are you going to use with it? I'm still trying to decide about that....