1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown 300R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r05c03, Apr 12, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, there is currently a thread on assembling an inexpensive rig. I find myself in the same position. I am going rack mount, most likely. many people are espousing the dollar to sound ration of the Ashdown 300 heads. What about an used Peavey Mark IV from ebay? Would those also be good. What could I expect to run with Ashdown 300, could I run a 4x10 and a 1x15? Thanks.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You could run both cabs if they were both 8 ohms. The ashdown is a great amp. Ive been using one for a year and a half without problems.

3. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I have only dealt with combo amps in the past and I have another question. Is there anyway that I could run a something like the Ashdown 300 with a 4 x10 and run, simutaneously run my Ampeg BA115HP as my 1x15.

4. You definetly can run both and you have a couple of different options as far as hooking it all up.

1. a/b/y box. channel a could be the ashdown/410. channel b- the ampeg combo. With this option you could run channel a or b, or both. This is probably the best way to do it. make sure if you go this route that you get an a/b/y, not just a/b.

2. Go from the effects send from one amp into the effects return to the other. This will send the preamp signal from the first amp into the second, thus by-passing the second amp's preamp, using it as a poweramp only.

Personally, I prefer option 1. I've been toying with this idea and it's pretty cool to be able to switch amps and your tone for certain songs. It's also neat to combine them and blend the two signals.

5. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Cool, but I am not familiar with what you mean by a/b/y box. I am not experienced with the option posed by ampheads and cabinets. But I am glad I can do it! It will save me money too.

6. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Oh, okay for so option one, the two amps would not necesarily be be connected to eachother, but bass would be able to play through both. If I was running both the chain would look like? Like this?

bass-----effects----a/b/y box------amp 1
    \
    -----amp2*
    *amp 2 should be coming off of a/b/y box

would there be any signal loss going through the box?

How would I set up the amps in option 2?

7. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    anymore input on this?

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive used a MAG300 C-115 for two years and its a great sounding amp.
    you can run both the cab from the head like stated above and then you would get the full 307watts.
    you could also get a power amp (i was thinking of doing this last year) and run the pre amp out of the MAG in to the power amp and have loads more volume than 307 watts