1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown 400 vs Hartke 3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 10, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So still deciding what head to get on my rig and these are the only 2 that I can seem to find that suit my needs even though I haven't played through the Hartke.

My rig so far is a ric 4003, a fender mim 60's jazz and a hartke 1x15. This is all I want I don't want to add other speakers to the 1x15 to me it sounds great I just need something to drive it I used the mag 400 in the shop with this cab and it beat crap out of the mag 400 1x15 combo that I tried but i'm tempted by the hartke 3500 because of the blendable pre's and also the fact thats its hartke so i can have a all hartke rig (I know this must sound stupid). I was thinking separate power and pre amp but all the power amps I can find seem to be to powerful (2000w for £400) and it all works out a bit to expensive.

I was also looking at the swr 4004 but I don't think it's powerful enough and there quite expensive to buy here in england. I need a 200-300 watt head that can be solid state or tube pre just as long as it has a fantastic sound.

Thanks in advance.

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Do people just avoid my posts like the plague :D

I'm thinking the difference in these heads will come if I put another cab on top but would the 350 w of the hartke be enough for most purposes (I think so but I don't have lots of gigging experiance) should be ok for your average pub gear.

3. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I would play through a Hartke head if you could to see if you like the sound. THe Hartke 3500 is 'only' 350 watts at 4ohms but it is a very loud 350 watts. Many people have commented on this and I find it to be true using my Hartke 3500. I never have to turn up above 3 even when I'm in a small practice room with two distortion hungry 100 watt guitar stacks and a drummer.

The downside to you only having the Hartke115 is that you will only then be getting 240 watts out of the head, assuming your Hartke115 is and 8 ohm cab like my XL is. That should still be plenty but would not give you the same headroom if you play in a larger venue.

I like my Hartke 3500 a great deal and would definitely encourage you to try it out. They are great for the normal bar sized gigs and mine has always been rocksolid as far as dependability.

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The difference between a 350 watt amp and a 400 watt amp is inaudible (about half a decibel) if the wattages of the two amps are measured the same way and the amps have similar circuits.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I know with the wattage difference there isn't really much if any volume difference, but as far as sound quality goes is the hartke good or will it sound nowhere near as good as a solid state ashdown head. Theresd quite a price difference in these 2 now over 100 pounds an I guess it would be really cool to have a hartke stack in stead of a mix and match one (Make it easy for hartke to endorse me when I'm big and famous) :D :D and if I did put another cab on it I guess I would go for that 2x10 they do with the little 5 inch horn so it would look wicked and I guess it would sound amazing. Do hartke heads sound different to ashdown heads are they brighter, punchier etc???

Thanks for the feedback.

6. i've owned both the Hartke 3500 and Ashdown ABM-500. to me the ashdown is hands down a much better amp for ME. however, if you are happy with your current hartke rig then maybe the hartke sound is for YOU.

also, the ashdown is capable of many different faces and seems to be a more "musial" tone then the hartke. you stated that you were leaning on the hartke because of the blendable pre-amp. well, i not certain on the mag series, but the ABM series that i have DO have blendable pre-amps.

7. Ok, here's my situation. I'm getting a 3500 in the mail very soon. I went to samash yesterday with my 5 string schecter.

I plugged all the cabs I tried with the 3500.

First I plugged into a 4x10 aluminum coned hartke XL. It was wicked loud. I didn't turn the master volume past 3 and it was WICKED LOUD. So my salesperson plugged me up the to VX115 cab and WOW!!! That was some crazy stuff man. This amp is great with a low B. When I only had the amp plugged into the vx115, there obviously wasn't as much headroom, but it was enough (I was turning it up to 5) but it's certainly a giggable rig! The tone is amazing. 240 watts at 8 ohms. There's a lot of headroom from this amp, and the 15 would be enough for a while, but for gigs I'd add a 4x10 or 2x10. The vx115 had amazing response with the low B. The vx115 is rated at 300 watts 8 ohms.

The amp is a great amp, and if you get any bad sounds or not enough sound out of it, it's definetly the cab your using with it. This is an astonishing LOUD TONEFUL AMP.

I have not played through the SWR, sorry, I can't tell you how they compare, but I think the hartke is the better deal... You will not be dissapointed with the hartke.

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Or the bass, or the playing, or the player's idea of good sound...

I'm sure it's a perfectly nice amp, but good sound is more subjective than that!

9. Well I like it, ok!?:D

yes, I make the amp sound good, the amp doesn't make me sound good, it makes me sound better than what i sound like going through my chitty kombo!:D