Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown 4x8"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Si-bob, May 8, 2002.

1. Anyone have any experience with 4x8" cabs?
    te one i'm looking at is 600watts, but i'm wonderinf what sorta perfomance differnce i'll see copared to the 650Watt 4x10
    Thanks

*Si*

2. i'm not sure if steve uses 4x8" cabs, it sais on his site that he's using a 1x10" combo and a 2x10 combo (i think, looked ages ago)
    anyway, i'm still interested in hearing anyones views on pro's and con's of 4x8's as opposed to 4x10's

cheers
    *Si*

3. I use an SWR 4x8", and it's the best cab I've ever played through, IMO. I also have an SWR 1x15", but would gladly trade that for another 4x8. Trouble is, SWR stopped making them, and they're scarce as hen's teeth in my part of the world. Hmmm, I did'nt know Ashdown did one, might check into that.

Alan Ace Cooper likes this.
  4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    my home rig and gigging-in-europe rig is just a C110-300 combo, which is fantastic. However, when I was in California in January, I used an ABM500 EVO head, and two of the new MINI series cabs - the 4x8 and a 1x12 - both were amazing, worked really well with eachother, and were considerably smaller and lighter than 4x10s and a 15 would be - the 4x8 is tighter and more focussed than 4x10s, lighter, better high-end (no need for a horn), and it looks great... :oops:) couple it to the 12 and you've got a world beater...

As and when I upgrade my rig, that's what I'm going for...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk

5. Thanks for your reply's guys
    So am i right in thinking that because of the size of the speakers, your going to lose a few lows and gain mids and highs, and therefore be coupled with a 1x15, or like u said steve, a 1x12 for best results. Obviously i don't want a rig that is going to give me an uneven tone.

*Si*

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    well, the 4x8 did have a surprising amount of low end - I think it's to do with the porting, and also that in a cab like that, there some weird physics thing with the combined surface area counting for something... not sure what... :oops:) the SWR Henry 8x8 is an amazingly deep sounding cab - too deep for me..

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. thanks for your help Steve, and everyone else, much appreciated. I think at the mo, (obviously after i try it) i'm gonna go for an ashdown 4x8, perhaps adding a mini 15 later, Still not sure about which amp....hmmmm
    thanks again

*Si*

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hopefully you'll find a well stocked shop that will allow you to couple it with a variety of heads - obviously the Ashdown cabs are optimised for use with Ashdown heads, but you may find that your sound is in the combination of those cabs with something else... it'd be interesting to hear them hooked up to an Eden, SWR or EA head - something designed for cabs with tweeters...

But do try the ABM500, it certainly rocked on the tour that I did in January! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. I intend to try it with an ABM 500, but it is a very expensive head :)
    apparently The Guitar Shop in ipswich stocks the full ashdown line, so i might have to take a trip there.
    don't spose theres much chance of finding any ashdown gear 2nd hand?.

*Si*

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ashdown stuff does come up second hand occasionally, but not often, for obvious reasons...

Might be worth giving one of the new MAG heads a try with those cabs - could be a good match...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. i had considered a MAG 250w head, i was hopefully looking to get something slightly more powerful though....something that i wouldn't have to replace for a LONG time :)

*Si*

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Si-bob, how soon are you going to need more than 250watts??????

I had a Trace Elliot 250watt head and a 4 x 10 for the past 10 years and never needed any more - til now!!!! Now I've got a 500 with a 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 cab. My other amp is an Ashdown EB 15 combo, which 'only' has 130 watts - I bet this gets more use than my Trace rig!

13. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hi Johnny and Steve
    We meet in another thread!!!
    You know we were discussing the EB 130 and I said I was looking for something a bit bigger. Well, I think I've had some sort of mental crisis. I've only gone and ordered an ABM C115-500 Combo. I'm still in shock at my mad impulse. I only hope I don't live to regret it. I only hope it comes up to my expectations and really is the goods. I haven't even tried one out. I thought if the EB130 was so good, the ABM just had to be fantastic. I keep thinking I might have got something better for the money. Or maybe I should have bought the MAG 400 Combo instead. Or even the ABM C115-300.
    What have I done??

14. hey guys
    after spedning most of the day playing with ashdowns, i'v sort of finally decided on a ABM C210H-300 coupled with a ABM 115-300. This seems to me to be a great standard setup. This was the first time i'd played a Ashdown, and i have to say, i'v fallen in love with the sub-harmoniser, how cool is that :)
    anyway, gotta go do the maths now......strange thing is, i think i can actually afford it :)

cheers
    *Si*

15. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Does the 4x8 have enough highs to for popping, and clickity sounds? Also how loud is it?
    Thanks,

16. hey chris
    the 4x8 has a power rating of 660w i think, so depending on what amp you put on top, your gonna get a lotta volume :) Apparently its got a very even tone, but i should think that its has good highs, considering the size of the speakers.

i thought people would like to see my proposed new amp, its below. I cut and paste the combo and the cab, and kinda stuck them on top of each other, tis why it looks dodgey :)

Just a quick question, The combo apparently has an 'Output Impedence' of 4 ohms, does this relate to the minimum the amp can handle or the speakers? If so the 15" cab has an impedence of 8 ohms, giving me a total of 2???, which means i couldn't run this setup.?
    someone offer some light?

*Si*

17. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Si-bob,

The stated minimum impedence is 4 Ohms, the internal impedance is 8ohms, so hook up another 8ohms and you've got 4, so you're in the clear... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

18. thanks steve.

the thing that confused me was that with cabs, it gives you its impendance, and with heads it gives you the minimum impedence, but with combo's it only gives you one value, i wasn't sure what it related to. but you cleared that up...cheers

btw, you got any gigs coming up in the essex region, i'v still gotta see you play :)

*Si*

19. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK