Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown 500 ABM vs Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm real close (a couple of days) from buying one of these units, however, it has to be done without playing either. I've done a lot of research and thread reading and have found both brands to have very loyal owners. I'm mainly playing 5 string active fretless in 60's to now cover band(s). Weight is not an issue, my bandmates are real good at helping haul things and we usually have roadies. I'm looking to upgrade from an Eden 300 WT. I would really appreciates opinions based upon experience with both heads.

So far it seems the Mesa has a thick punchy tone with solid lows, maybe a little light in the mids, with great volume. The Asdown might have more mid adjustment and a little more bottom end, maybe not as loud?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I would go with the Ashdown because I think its more flexible. I have an ABM300 and it can go from SWR clean to Ampeg gritty. And you dont have to change powertubes.
    I had a Mesa D-180 (200W all tube) and it sounded great but IMO could only make one sound.

Hope this helps.:bassist:

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    You're right on with this statement except the loudness point. I have the ABM 500RC and find it to be very loud. I also find the ABM to be very warm and punchy. I also agree with jock -- the Ashdown is very flexible in the tone department.

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    This is the kind of input I'm looking for gang. Keep it coming. This is why TB is my favorite forum :)

BTW, my reference to volume was from memory, I probably should have printed all the threads I read.

5. Yep i agree with Jason. ABM is very, very flexible. For now i'm going to buy some pedals (not effects...just pedals) and then i'll able to take every **** out of it. Before buying Ashdown i was thinkin' about Warwick combos/amp+cab but it realized that it sound like Warwick and that's it nothing more! And then i decide to buy ABM500 + ABM4x10'' cab. For now i dont need any other stuff. You've said that it has to be done without playing either...hmm...i had same situation but i have chance to send rig back to distributor...and i think that u must check this out by yourself. I know some ppl which dont like Ashdown......some time ago i bought ABM115 cab from very know bass players here in Poland and he said that he's selling out all his Ashdown stuff bcoz of it's lack of warm sound :| ...well...i think u must try it out first!

And i agree that Ashdown have really very loyal owners. Just take look at me ;) every gig with Ashdown tshirt :).

[​IMG]

Greetings

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I bought an Ashdown ABM500 in the Chrome Rack mount version. It is Very cool in chrome in the rackmount flava! This ABM500 has power and volume to spare! No shortage of power here. Keep in mind, I am running it @4ohms into a Bergantino 322 (4 ohm) cabinet.

I play a Modulus Quantum 5 and the Ashdown seems VERY good at a thick lush tone, or even modern. The sub harmonizer is incredible and the grind knob blends tube grit with Mosfet/clean tone for a great cutting growl. Hope that helps.