Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM-110-C300 10" speaker needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andertone, Nov 17, 2003.

1. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi!

I've got the Ashdown ABM-110-C300 with the single 10" speaker (older Celestian), and love it as it is a great upgrade to my beloved SWR Baby Blue. But, the 10" speaker is a bit weak on the E string, particularly the open E. I can hear slight "pops" when driving it hard, which indicates to me that the speaker is being driven to it's max (and then some) excursion due to port issues or too much bass EQ (which I need). With an extension cabinet (Epi T112) this thing is incredible. But I need just a little more at low volume (3 piece acoustic electric folk/newgrass band with drummer)

What is a good replacement 10" speaker that can fit in this box? Dimensions of the combo are
    7 x 11 x 14", which is about 1.5 cubic feet. This speaker has been replaced by a Jensen blue line 10", but I don't know where to get them, and if upgrading I'd like to get the best available. Electro Voice Force 10??? Eminence Beta 10?

Hey, I know it's only one ten, but I know there is something out there that shakes it a little more!

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Why don't you order one? I got my spare for my Ashdown combo (same as yours) from John DiMaggio at Bass Alone in about 2 weeks. If time is an issue I could sell you my spare. I'd have to see how much I spent for it.

BTW - the BlueLine is not a direct replacement, you would have to enlarge the hole by 17mm, according to HHB.

Dan K.

3. Eminence Deltalite 2510 is the closest I see for your box volume. Lighter, too, and good to 5,000 Hz.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm I agree it's the best choice for that size cab, but it's -3dB at 78Hz. So I don't know it will improve the response of the E string.

Some of the less sensitive drivers go lower but give up way too soon in the higher frequencies.

I'd just stick to the stock driver and try to use an extension cab more often than not.

5. hi, I am using Eminence Kappa 15 for a Celestion of an Ashdown 200w 15" - with very good results in terms of output volume because of the strong sensitivity, and it's still there after one year.

(Lately I also upgrade the speaker cable too with audiophile grade speaker cable from QED Genesis, using a spare piece from a friend who updated his hi-fi kit. And now the Kappa sound much more civilized. I have also upgraded the amp mains cable...)

But once I tried Eminence Delta12 on a cheap small 2ways pa box and was dull and farting and I lost money.

If you receive good tips in this forum, possibly from expert people, make up your mind.

Otherwise since replacing speakers could be a lottery and unlike changing light bulbs, i'd say don't try to save money on speakers, take it to the shop for the best replacement.

Liase with a good shop so that if your not satisfied it's their responsabilty.

6. I can't find any information on the Jensen Blueline drivers.

We're dealing with a 1x10 in a commercial cab. I have no doubt there is no bottom end in the stock configuration, because it wouldn't make any loudness. I also doubt the stock driver is the same quality as a Deltalite, so it might be an improvement. Maybe Ashdown will provide T/S data for this driver, especially if it is obsolete.

7. craigp

craigp

Dec 27, 2007
    I have a C110-300 combo and ran into the same problem. I replaced my stock speaker with an Ear Candy 10". They have a custom OEM Eminence, I believe, built to proprietary specs. They say it'll handle 350 watts. I can't confirm that, but I do think it handles quite a bit more volume and EQ than the stock Ashdown blue line 10".

Good luck!

8. craigp

craigp

Dec 27, 2007
    Oh, the web address is earcandycabs.com, I think.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Moot. The thermal power handling of a driver says absolutely nothing about its output or frequency response capabilities. In any event the problem in this case is the cabinet size. Getting a reasonable combination of output level and bass response from a cab of that size (which, according to the dimensions listed, is 0.6 cu.ft.) just isn't possible, no matter what you use for a driver.