Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM 115 or MAG 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Aug 5, 2003.

1. I currently own an Ashdown MAG 400 410 combo and am soon to add a 115 underneath it, but am not sure whether it would be better to add the ABM or the MAG. Common sense tells me to match cabs, but the ABM is higher end. I have only been able to try out the ABM so far, and it sounded very very good! The only thing that I do not like about the ABM is the Tolex cover, because I prefer the carpetted MAG series, but this is only minor. So I was hoping that I could get some input from you guys or if you could share your experiences with those cabs. And please don't tell me to do a search, I have researched, but I would like to get more.

2. BuMp... Anyone there??? :bag:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I believe they use similar drivers thru out the product line. I'd just get the Mag 15

4. That's basically where I plan on going, but I want to see what some other opinions may be so that I can do this the right way the first time.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It will look better if they match. What's the price difference, how long would it take to get a Mag 115 delivered and could you send it back (or trade up) if you decide that the ABM 115 is worth the extra money for your needs?

Wulf

6. I agree with the idea of the look, and I would be going through a local Ashdown retailer, so I would have to work something out with them, since they do not have only either of the 115 cabs, only the ABM combo with the MAG 200 head. I believe the price difference is about $200 or so, but this would be something that I would be getting for my birthday/x-mas. But I guess as of right now I am leaning towards the MAG due to look, price, and closeness in tone.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If it's an Ashdown dealer, I would have thought they could probably manage to get both in if you're almost definitely going to buy one of them.

Have you talked to them about what's possible - with the clear proviso that you'd like to hear both before making up your mind?

Wulf

8. Everything is still very preliminary, which basically means that I walked into their store for about the hundredth time and decided to play through an ABM 115 combo since I just recently decided to add a 115 cab. So the clerk, who is very friendly, seemed to be very helpful and gave me the prices for the cabs, and I can almost bet that they can order the cabs. The only reason I think that they wouldn't be able to is that they are a small retailer, but Ashdown is almost the only type of bass amps that they carry. But I will go back soon to talk more business. Any suggestions?

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    They sound like a friendly store - just ask them straight up (including working out a time that is suitable for you and normally quiet for them to go over and try the cabs).

Wulf

10. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Both the ABM and MAG series use the 15" Blueline drivers - The ABM is rated at 300watts, the MAG is rated at 150watts. Apart from that, I think the real difference between the two is aesthetic (not totally sure you spell that!!)

:D