1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown ABM 1200 Smoking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kieran Clifford, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Kieran Clifford

Kieran Clifford

Aug 19, 2018
    New York
    Hey guys, so a few weeks back I ordered an ashdown abm 1200 from reverb and used it on a couple of gigs and I didn’t have any problems. I was at a gig tonight and the amp started smoking and crackling, then I saw some sparks and a small fire that put itself out through the vents. It looked like the fire came from the inductor coil. It also won’t turn on anymore, now that I got it home. Luckily I had a Darkglass DI box that I ran through with in ears for the rest of the night. Anyone else have this problem with any Ashdown amps/this one in particular? Also, I’m in New York, so if anyone could point me in the direction of an authorized Ashdown repair shop that’d be wonderful. Thank you for reading.

image.thumb..4f1f0070db06954dbc512c59c089cb51.

image.thumb..d6f86f4d00b39d0de26f0ae48dac167c.

2. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Propeller-Head Hero Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    Oh no - The magic smoke got out. Sorry for your misfortune. Try emailing the shop in UK, they’ve always been a responsive group. I have two UK-built ABM’s and never had a failure both have a good amount of gig-hours on them and have been stone-axe reliable.

I can’t tell you who might be able to check it out around our area but I play in a band with a guy that might. I’ll pm you later.

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    There is a factory suthorized shop in MD that fixed my ABM mute issue but they are not listed nor anybody from NY. Here's the list from the website:
    Ashdown Engineering

On your ABM 1200, can both channels be bridged to get a 1200 watt single output?

4. Kieran Clifford

Kieran Clifford

Aug 19, 2018
    New York
    Thank you Jim and Paul, I also posted this on basschat, and I had an Ashdown rep respond to me, so he's handling this, but thank you both for the help. As for Jim's question, they can't be bridged, but its 600 watts RMS so it gets the job done.

Jim C likes this.