Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown abm 300 evo loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dvon1981, Jan 26, 2006.

1. dvon1981

dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    So i've been looking at a used abm 300 300 evo II. I'm on a budget. This is going to be going through an ashdown mag 410. I haven't played the two together, though i did play the cab using a crappy behringer head that was pushing 200 watts into the cab (same as the ABM will) and it seemed plenty loud. I'm just looking to be able to play in practice and small bars. If I need more volume i can always add another 410 cab I'm thinking or a 15.

Thoughts?

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have that head and it should be ok for the type of use you want.
    Ive giged a MAG 307 C-115 for 2 years playing weddings, fuctions etc but the amp packed in so i got the ABM and plug that in to the MAG cab and have played mid size gigs with it.

Dave.

3. dvon1981

dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    Yeah I played both the 15 and the 410 and the 410 was quite a bit louder than the 15 at the same amp settings. It seems like it will be fine, just always tough to tell without the drums and guitar playing. Anyone else using this head for rock gigs lemme know your opinions.

4. Yeah, I can vouch for the ABM300 EVO as I use one in my band. We play AC/DC esque rock music, our drummer is a hard hitter and our guitarist uses a half stack, so it's loud! :smug:
    I run the Ashdown into a Gallien Krueger 410 cab which is 8 ohms so I'll be getting around the 200 watt mark out of it.

In my experience, I've found that Ashdown bass amps produce a heck of a lot of bottom end.
    So if you do find you're not hearing yourself too well (can't see it if the size of gigs you mean are the size I think you mean - bars and small to medium clubs), you could just back off the bass on the eq and increase the input gain a touch to make up for it, you'll use the power available more for low-mids and above.
    That'll help you cut through even better.

Like you say though, you could always add another 8 ohm cab and you'll get 300 or 325 watts depending on if it's an EVO or an EVO II you go for.

I hope I didn't ramble too much there!! :)

5. dvon1981

dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    No that was awesome man, that's exactly what i need to hear. I'm stoked to get this setup now. Thanks for your help!

6. No problem matey! Glad I was of some help and that's what this site is for really...sharing the wealth. I mean fine, it has it's fair share of bitching going down but I'm sure 99 percent of it is harmless banter. I hope the Ashdown works out to be just what you need. I'm sure it'll try its damnedest to please your ears. Heh.