Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II - EQ Settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vesterbass, Mar 15, 2006.

1. vesterbass

vesterbass

May 30, 2005
    I just got this amp with an Ashdown 4x10 cabinet a while ago and I've been fooling around with the EQ trying to find what sounds best. I play fingerstyle, bass-heavy hard/alternative rock with some popping and frequent slapping/thumping on the low E string. I also have a SansAmp BassDriver DI which I'm not sure I need to incorporate to get a good sound. Any suggestions out there?

Mike

www.withineternity.com

2. Timbwe

Timbwe

Mar 6, 2011
    Montreal, Canada
    The ashdown valve mix and gain are very sensitive. If you dont want to much "dirt" be careful. Keep the mix of the valve and solid state preamp at , say, 30% and the gain at around 50% if the space your in allows. 500amps with a 4x10 4ohm you can move a lot of air with this setting and volume at 50%. If you want a rockier sound, ie add in the valve mix first and then work upwards on gain as you go. Watch the VU. It tells you how much breakup of the tube you're getting.

The Sansamp will mess up your rig if you put it before the Ashdown preamp. You can try but in this setup I recommend that you put your EQ off or select the flat setting.

My preference is to have the Sansamp run thru the effects loop. Where you bypass the ashdown pre-amp. Then you can use the sans amp "blend" to mix the two. Defeat the sans amp and you have essentially 4 sounds from your ashdown if you buy the FS4 pedal... sub harmonic/not, EQ on/off EQ punchy/flat , Valve preamp on/off (at what ever mix you set).

I almost got rid of my Ashdown ad Iw as used to setting the gain fairly high and it too me a while to get the cleaner sound I wanted.. still having the raunchier sounds available at the foot switch (more valve at same gain).

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ...as to setting the eq, start in the middle, noon, and make very small tweaks on each band, boost and cut, to get a feel for what each does. With eq, a little usually goes a long way, and any "extreme" settings will likely sound like poo.

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    This particular amp sounds pretty much like poo set flat IMO. The pre shape goes a long way though, at least to my ear.

EQ is there for a reason, don't be afraid of using it. Set right the ABM heads sound great.

5. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I always thought the amp sounded much better with the pre shape engaged as well, but I also found it took out a bit too much mids for my taste. I would usually boost the 340Hz slider just a bit to put back some mids. I also found that cutting the 180Hz slider just a hair would help clear up the low end a bit. On top of that I would usually boost the 1.3kHz slider a notch or two and be good to go.

6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    pre-shape engaged.
    gain at 9 o'clock
    master at 3 o'clock
    valve drive engaged and set at noon
    EQ set flat

Rock and Roll!!

7. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    Poor guy, it only took TB people 5 years to answer his questions :scowl:

8. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I am glad to have found this thread. Hoping to hear some more settings!

9. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Got to play around with some of these settings today which was pretty fun. I have a quick question for those who referenced the pre shape though....by engaged did you mean with the button in so you were starting from a "flat" response or out so you are working with a superimposed EQ setting? Look forward to your responses!

10. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Anyone?

11. R Baer

Jun 5, 2008
    Engaging the pre shape adds this EQ curve to your sound

+8dB @ 50Hz & 4kHz, -8dB @ 400Hz, filter slope - 6dB/octave

When all else fails, read the manual !

12. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004

Roger that. I did actually....somehow without really having a firm grasp on what the frequencies are it is somewhat abstract. So your previous comment refers to the shape button out then, correct?

13. temp_secretary

temp_secretary

Jun 23, 2011
    ireland
    i always found the pre-shape button, when engaged, sucked way too much mid live- took all the punch out out the tone.

14. I have the same gear... Ashdown ABM 500 and Sansamp BDDI. I set the valve mix at 2 o'clock on the ashdown, then I add the Sansamp in front to add more punch (bass and treble at 10 o'clock and drive at noon).

yes, indeed.

15. temp_secretary

temp_secretary

Jun 23, 2011
    ireland
    i think the amb kinda needs a sans amp/ preamp/ drive in front of it just to thinken up the tone- it can be a little thin on its own. i use an ebs valve drive with boosted mids and some gain to fill out my tone, my head is eq'd with the bass at 1 o clock, mids at 2 and treble at 11. low and high mids around 75%. i lovegrowly mids!

16. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Still curious whether people are referring to having the pre-shape engaged whether they mean that or starting from flat. I have found I like starting with the shape button in, or flat. Am I missing something or are my ears just off? I definitely hear what folks are saying about it cutting out too much mid.

17. R Baer

Jun 5, 2008
    If the pre shape button is in the out position, the amp is no longer flat ( you push the button in to bypass the pre shape eq section). The pre shape engages a built in EQ curve. For the most part, "flat" means that you are not cutting, or boosting any of the amp's tone (eq) controls or using any type of pre shape, contour, aural enhancer, etc...

"Flat" can be a deceiving term, as just the fact that all the tone controls are in the center position doesn't mean the amp is running flat. Many amps have a built in EQ curve and tuning a tone control alters it further. Magazines like Bass Gear show where the amps knob position has to be in order to produce the flattest response.