Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II Head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulb7664, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi all.
    I am thinking about getting a ABM 500 EVO II Head. Can I have your thoughts on this?? At the moment I use a Carvin RC210 and 1x15 cab which I am not happy with, Its plenty loud but sounds CR@P!! Also what cab would you suggest?? I play rock covers!! Was thinking of a 4x10 I like that tight sound.

Thanks.

Paul

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
  3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  4. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Thanks for the links. Looks good to me. Now for a good cab!!

5. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
  6. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Paul

7. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I got an Ashdown ABM 500 EVOII C115 combo fromm zzounds.. UPS did the delivery.. My assistant signed for it.. I flipped out. It looks like UPS rolled the box from NJ to Austin,TX... The amp worked for about a day then quit with a buzz sound.. It was obviously messed in shipping..I called Zzounds and they had me call Ashdown Customer service. I spoke with Mike and he was so helpfull and had me set up with a return , shipping , repair, whatever I wanted to do. They were amazing. I was really worried about buying an amp from overseas simply because of the service issue. But they seam to have a huge presence hear in the states. My amp was fixed and is perfect in a week. That was a year ago. I use it almost every day. and the amp not only looks nice but it sound ballzy. Kind of like an ampeg on steriods..And the customer support is fast, respectful, and fast to act. They know urgency. I would buy another in a minute.
    YOu can get almost any sound with the ABM 500, from real clean to total nasty distortion by using the Grind Tube knob. And the Sub Bass is nice if used at times... Intuitive EQ. I love it.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
  9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Evo500II is the best amp I've ever owned.

10. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Wow.
    Going on what you guys have to say, it looks like I cant go to far wrong with this Amp!!
    What are your thoughts on Ashdown 4x10 Cabs???? Should I go with 4 or 8 Ohm Cab.

Thanks.

Paul.

11. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    my ashdown 300 evo always sounded really muddy, with active or passive no matter what the eq was at.

12. I use the ABM 500 RC, which is the rackmount version, with an ABM 410T cabinet. I really don't think you can go wrong with this head. The sound is tight, punchy, just all around GOOD. My rig does extremely well in a live setting; the guitar player in my last band who "didn't like mids" is still having nightmares about being buried by my bass.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  14. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    If you don't mind, what can you share about the MK head? How does it compare to the ABM stuff? They seem to be much less common.

15. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi All.
    I hope this is not a stupid question :meh:

I am thinking of getting the Ashdown ABM 410T cabinet to go with this head!!
    Can you tell me if it is possible to rewire a 4x10, 4 Ohm to 8 Ohms etc. At the moment I don't want a stack but in the future I might want to put a 1x15 with it.
    Thanks.

Paul.

16. I'm a believer. Best sounding old school tone I've ever had!

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I mainly use the ABM 500 RC EVO II.The MK500 is from the Ashdown Labs series and compared to the ABM series is like night and day,you will definitely get more warmth from the ABM 500 RC EVO II but warmth is obtainable from the Mk 500.the MK500 has a lot more high end and very hi-fi sounding and like the ABM 500 RC EVO II the MK500 has a lot of headroom.it's not a bad amp at all,the difference in the two models are like Apples and Oranges.The ABM EVO models can give you good old school flavor and a modern twist if you like while the MK500 brings that over the edge in your face Funk power.

The ABM 500 EVO head and the ABM 500 RC EVO II are the same head,only difference is the EVO RC is rack mountable.

18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    can you tell me what sort of EQ settings you use for the "old skool" tone?
    I need it but cant really find it although i know its in there somewhere.
    not had the ABM long and dont get to use it between gigs so not had a lot of time to mess about.
    i could find it on my MAG but the EQ is different on the ABM

thanks

19. Believe it or not, I boost the mids and keep the two end controls flat. I set the center rotary knob to 3:00 and the two sliders on either end about midway and the next two outside sliders about 1/4 way more or less depending on the bass. I also use a Sansamp BDDI set pretty much to the SVT settings with the blend at about 1:00 and a tad more boost. I also have a Tech 21 Bass Compactor which increases bass response. I'm always getting compliments on what an awesome sound I have. It feels great to have such a good sounding rig. I've been looking for a rig like this for a long time.

Bear in mind that these settings work for my head/speaker combo. I'm using two Aguilar GS112's which are typically darker sounding. Your results may vary. :D

Best

Frank

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks Frank
    My settings arent far off yours so it could be the cab (1210).
    Used to use a 1x15 which i guess is more in keeping with the old vintage sound.