Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by veggieboy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. what have people experienced with this amp... and how much did you pay for it.
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i got a 900 its basically 2 500's. i love it great great great amp. and paried with an ashdown cab youve got god tone. however if your a plug and play, dont buy it. getting yourself a comfortable eq takes a very very long time. but its well worth it. id go for it dude if you could.
  3. Bad_Boy

Sep 16, 2002
    Luton in UK
    I use an Ashdown ABM 500 its fat juicey and a bit 'old skool' in sound with a reasonably flexible eq. Ashdown is a volume manufacturer so you should be able to squeeze a 15% discount fairly easily. The pre-amp can be heard at.

As usual YMV
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if the RPM-1 is any indication, i'm sure the head ROCKS.
  5. ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've only used the 500 EVO, not the EVO II. I love my head to death (especially now that there's a Schroeder under it). I've found a really big range of great rock sounds, and I agree with zongeek's statement that it's easy to fall into a whole lot of twiddling. I don't know what's changed under the hood, but I question whether the two new features that would be of use to me personally, namely the Neutrik jack and the footswitchable OD, would be worth the jump in price from a used EVO.
  6. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've got an ABM EVO 300 head that I love to death! The sound is great for my roots rock trio. I sometimes wish i had the extra headroom of the 500, but it's quite loud enough thank you. :cool:

The EQ section does a wonderful job, and if you experiment with the type of pre-amp tube you put in it, you can get an amazing tubey warmth! I've got a NOS Telefunken in my 300 and it's smooth and warm. I LOVE it! :hyper:

7. How many and what type of tube(s) sit in these ABM amps actually?
  8. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I too have the old version. Allegedly, the new version has a quicker reponse on the lower notes...I have noticed mine being a little slow down low...but only sometimes, and a lot has to do with the room. As for EQ, I haven't felt the need to tweak it a lot. Bass 1:00-3:00, depending on the bass/band, mid usually straight up or sometimes 11:00 for slight mid cut, 1:00 for slight mid boost. Treble straight up. The 180 hz slider boosted one notch and the 2.6 slider boosted one notch...the sliders I leave alone, only using the knobs for slight tweaks. Naw, I wouldn't say this amp needs drastic EQ.

I does have a warm modern old school sound. Doesn't have the wolliness or fuzziness of an Ampeg or Aguilar (I owned the 750 and ultimately chose the Ash over it...more versitile and MUCH lighter weight). The thing I did notice about the 750 was the more solid low notes waaay down around low B/C/D...I'm hoping the new version of this amp, with its quicker low end claims, has remedied this. Don't expect clanky treble out of this can be a little treble shy...probably has a lot to do with the tube in it...its a nice fat juicy one (stock). Put a "clean" tube in it for grins a while back, even my bass hating girlfriend said to put the other one back in.
  9. 1 x tube sovtek 12ax7wa

tried a Electro harmonix 12ax7wa and it sounded horrible, the sovtek seems good.
  10. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I've got one of the older "slow" response ABM 500 EVO models. Since I'm an old school "slow" blues/R&B bassist, the alleged slow response isn't even noticeable to me and certainly doesn't seem to hold me up or obscure my 32nd note runs. ;^) I love the depth of this amp more than anything else. Personally, I wanna sound like bass ... tweaters, 10s, batteries and stainless steel roundwounds need not apply. At 33 pounds, it's a good "soon to be a member of AARP" type persons amp. Works great with a Precision strung with flats ... 'nuff said. Also ... got it for $675 with very low mileage so I'm quite happy with it.

11. Is it true that the EVO 900 weighs 61lbs. Thats what I saw on an online music store. Thats more than my old Mesa 400+.
  12. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have the Ashdown RPM-1 preamp feeding a QSC PLX 1602 power amp. Great tone, light(er) weight, and more power. It is kind of a modern old school tone. Not fuzzy warm, but not SWR bright either. It does have its own sound, but you can get a lot of different tones by playing with the powerful EQ.
  13. Yeah, I've thinking about an Ashdown pre with a Stewart power amp, feeding 2 schoreder cabs. Or manybe a Mesa Big Block witht the same cabs.