1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown ABM 500 RC EVO II vs. Eden Nemesis NA650

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fathand, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Yes, another this vs. that thread. And a long one too. Sorry about that, but I really need help in this deadlock situation. :meh:

I need a durable, inexpensive and good sounding solid state head to carry around in a rack, that could also do some tubequesqe sounds if needed. I play mainly metal (with a clean sound) but am also into jazz, funk and pretty much any style of music. So versatility is a definate must.

These are both models that are unavailable here, as there are no dealers in Finland (at least none that I could find). Hence the detailed inquiry before ordering either, or neither online. I've done the basic review-searching in different places (and have done the narrowing into these two heads), so here we are and I need your help!

Let me think this through in writing here and you can point out some facts I missed, or you think are important.

These both have their own emulator circuits (Edge/Valve Drive). What I've read (here in TB and elsewhere) they are both good in emulating tube warmth, but which one is better? The Eden supposedly sounds like it's big brother, WT550, which probably is a good thing, right?

The eq's. In this section the Ashdown wins hands on, the 3 basic eq knobs + the sliders are more tweakable than the one semiparametric + 3 basic ones. Or does the semiparametric compensate for the static boost/cut sliders?

Wattage & connectivity. 440 vs. 575 (at 4 ohms), both enough for me with 2 cabs, as I have managed with about 175w until now (believe it or not :rollno:). The Ashdown has it's tuner output in the front, but I believe the effect send too would work as an output into a rack tuner (it works as an line-out too, states the manual). The 2 ohm capability is a nice bonus but probably nothing I would ever really need. Otherwise the connections are great and enough for me. Direct D.I Outs are a must nowadays.

What else... oh yeah, does the NA650 come with a rack kit? And do either include some pedals for the different functions, as both have those connections? Sound samples would be nice too(in a record, from the D.I out etc. Everything's fine with me).

Thanks in advance to all who decide and can help me. Talkbass is a great place to get some help. :)

2. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Wait ... let me go look ... yeah uh-huh I thought so ... My Ashdown ABM EVO II ... HAS a preamp tube in it.

I think if you are going to choose between two the WT-550 is a fair comparison ...

That was the two I was looking at.

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    The nemesis comes with rack ears and a channel-switching pedal to engage/disengage the "edge" function. I run mine through an aggie gs112 & a s210 and it sounds huge!

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had the Nemesis for a little while. Still sorry I sold it. GREAT amp!

5. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Any other opinions? :help: