Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM 500 reliability?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jan 31, 2003.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have heard a few reports of Ashdown Bass amplifiers being unreliable and wanted to hear from fellow TB-ers? I just played through an Ashdown ABM500 through an Aguilar 212 cabinet and the sound was lush, deep, fat and greasy while offering clarity, and presence that I have not heard from many amps. But I am worried about reliability. Anybody have any problems with their Ashdown ABM500's or 300's?

Additionally, how would the ABM 500 work with a Bergantino 322? Enough power? I've heard that Ashdown power ratings are conservative and that they are really nice. Thanks!

Gary

2. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I have an AMB500 and I love it. I did write a post a couple of weeks ago about a faulty DI but it turned out to be something completely different. SO that means that the amp has never give me problems and it is solid as a rock. I've played gigs with the flat button in and out and both tones are amazing, even at high volumes.

I don't know about the bergie cabs. I used Eden and Ampeg cabs with mine and I'l very happy.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

3. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    Though I can't really talk about reliability of the EVO 500 as I have only had mine a week and a half (woohoo :)) I can say I love the tone of it and that it puts out about 575 watts at 4 ohms.

4. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    For what it's worth, when I had my ABM 500 head, I had a little problem with the output section and e-mailed them looking for an appropraite dealer to take it to. Mark Gooday personally e-mailed me back within 24 hours and really set me up as far as having it repaired. They're really great amps and they seem like a relatively small company where one can get personalized customer service- even from teh other side of the Atlantic ocean.

5. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy

Sep 16, 2002
    Luton in UK
    I had an ABM500 2x10 combo for about a year and never had any problems with it.

I just bought an ABM 500 head to go with some cabs and the thing was broken out of the box and had to go back to the factory.

Judging from posts here and various other places if you don't get a problem within the first month then you probably won't need to use the warranty.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ive had a ABM300 for about 3 years now and never had a problem. Its supersolid. And their customersupport is great too.

7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have had a ABMC210-500 for almost two years and have had no problem. I play it quite loud at times with the band usually by itself but somtimes with a ext. cab. I put together. I do love that sound. I would like to get a 1x15 to sit it on, or maybe the SWR 2x12????

8. the bat

the bat

Oct 3, 2015
    Chicago
    I have two ABM 500's for years and never had a problem with either one other than the lamp going out on the VU meter on one of them.
    Excellent tone and lots of power.

9. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Nothing at all wrong with Ashdown ABM EVO (0) 115 combo reliability so far, nobody has destroyed it yet and it's been out on back line hire quite a bit.:)
    It once ate a Christmas streemer in its cooling fan and survived, so can't say to much for the heavy old beast.:)

10. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I've had 3. One crapped out twice and two were fine. Great sounding amps.

11. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Same here: my longest lasting amp!

12. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    JJ-500 user, not had any problems at all. Solid build, great customer service and a fantastic tone.

13. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Been using Ashdown for yrs (ABM, MAG and VS heads). Had a faulty cap on my ABM500 head which meant the output was lower than usual but it was replaced free of charge during warranty period. Haven't had any issues since