Ashdown ABM 500EVOrc vs. SVT 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by albass111, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Keep Ashdown ABM 500

34 vote(s)
  2. Keep SVT 4 Pro

42 vote(s)
  3. Sell Both, Slum it to save for Sadowsky, Aguilar

27 vote(s)
  1. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well just got the bad news from my accountant. I owe a lot of money in taxes so some gear has got to go. I have a Ashdown that I've loved for a long time, (I had the non RC before this one) and a SVT 4 Pro and one of them is being sold soon.

I was wondering if anyone has suffered a similar quandry. I will say that I like the tone of the Ashdown more, but the SVT is WAY louder (more watts). I use a variety of cabs for different gigs and I'm pretty torn. The Ampeg is in better shape, but I like the look of the Ashdown. Pretty much, I think my consensus is that I'm more attached to my Ashdown, but I find myself using the Ampeg a lot more for its versatility and power. However, my first Ashdown went in for repairs twice and I think the Ampeg is more reliable. Also, many clubs that I frequent have a backline, so I only use my amps about 1/2 the time for gigs.

Damn, I knew I should have gone to Law school after college so I could have everything I want like Bowlus. ;) and not deal with these petty problems. Also, I'd appreciate it if your advice doesn't take into account the fact that I'll probably sell my other amp here.

More Sadowsky's, A Sadowsky amp, Vintage SVT.
  2. it sounds like you only like the ampeg because it's can always get a power amp can't you?
  3. albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have power amps, the ampeg does the punchy things better as well. IMO.
  4. i would go with the ampeg only because you even said its louder and more versitel then the ashdown and the only real reason you would want to keep the ashdown is it has some meaning to you... i know its hard to part with gear that you love but sometimes you gotta for something better.

either keep the ampeg or seel em both and get something you really want to like the sadowsky. i'm in the process of deciding if i want to sell my amps for an orange head and new cabs but i dont know either. hope i helped even a little.
  5. I'm a sucker for the Ampeg.
  6. albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The poll is pretty neck and neck. Obviously I'll have to make the choice for myself. I have a gig Friday where I'll use the SVT 4 with my 8x10 and see if this is going to work out.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Do you need the extra watts of the Ampeg? That is, are there situations where the Ashdown doesn't cut it? In that case, it's a no-brainer: keep the Ampeg and sell the Ashdown. Nuances in bass tone are usually noticed by the bass player only. It's all about moving enough air to make the booty shake!
  8. Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    This Ashdown better win!! cos thats where my money is going :hyper: