Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown: ABM 500RC Vs. Mag 600R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Th9nker, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay, for the rack-mount versions of both heads:

There are a few extra sliders, and the tube section on the ABM... same power output etc...

Here is my question:
    The Mag weighs about 20 lbs..
    The ABM weighs in at 30 lbs!

Everyone give your opinion as to what you think gives the ABM 50% more weight...

Is it a thicker case? Is it a ten pound tube pre-amp? Is it filled with gold coins? creamy nougat?? who knows!?!?

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I guess the world will never know....

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    You might just write and ask Ashdown. I did that to find out which preamp tube the ABM used and I got a reply within 24 hours. I couldn't tell you what makes the ABM different from the MAG. Could be the Toroidal transformer in the ABM, could be that and the casing is that much heavier. Who knows? But I will tell you that the tone I get from ABM 500 EVO rackmount head kicks serious a**! It is a tone monster. Power to spare. - Gary

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    ^^^

Yeah, I don't really care that much to bug them, just curious... Martin at Ashdown is great and has answered every question I have ever had...

5. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Agree about the tone, I have a ABM 500 EVO II... I have seen the inside of that model, and the transformer is pretty damn big, so that may be part of it...