Ashdown ABM 600 EVO iv question! Enough power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Krikcet, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    After a bit of a struggle with my current pre/power amp situation, I'm thinking about going back to an integrated head. The one I've currently got my eyes on is the Ashdown ABM 600 EVO iv. Do you beautiful people out there in talkbass-land think this will be enough to push my daisy-chained Ampeg 410he and Orange OBC 115? (I know all about the 410x115 debate, but I like the sound.)

Rojd likes this.
  2. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    What do you mean by push?
    I think ashdown amps have always been fair with there power ratings. They don't bump them up like some companies.
    So if the newer 600 is anything like the older 500w abm heads then it should have a good bit of power on tap.

3. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I recently owned a Markbass LMT800, which boasts 800 watts, but the amp couldn't handle the load of the two cabinets. From what I've read, the ABM 600 should do just fine, but I would like some Talkbass encouragement.

4. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Have you owned or played through Ashdown stuff before? You may find it different from the markbass in its tone.

5. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I have never played an Ashdown before. I got rid of the Markbass and opted for an Alembic F-1x preamp through a Carvin power amp, which sounds pretty great, but I'm not so sure it's exactly what I need. It's a bit lacking in the flexibility department. I've been using my buddy's Trace Elliot ah350smx, which sounds pretty good and is much more flexible with the 12 band eq.

6. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I was looking on Sweetwater (because of their excellent financing options), and the Ashdown caught my eye.

7. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC
    I've played my ABM-900 through an 810. The ABM-900 has two 575w power amps. I used one and it was plenty loud. The output was never above noon.

Your 410/115 has around the same air moving equivalence of a 610 (give or take) so the 810 has a bit of an advantage.
    Me thinks you'll be fine unless you have to fill a really really large space.

8. jwindham

jwindham

Sep 17, 2006
    I have played the new Abm EVO IV. I'd say it's a fairly powerful amp, but the fan noise was just a bit too loud for me. I ordered one, but sent it back soon after as I found it a bit distracting in a rehearsal room environment. On a large stage, it may not be as noticeable. But, in the end I found the fan noise a bit louder than I prefer.

9. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC
    The ABM-900 has four fans. It is noisy in my home music room but I never notice it on stage. Regardless of what you buy, if you need more than 600 watts the problem is not with your rig.

10. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I took a sharp left turn and ended up snagging a Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion 800. I'll have it in a couple days!

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Excellent choice. That thing has great tone and serious power.

12. When push comes to shove you're going to blow that 15.

13. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I've been using it regularly for about a year now, through a few different amps, and it's held up quite well. With 800 watts pushing through the 4ohm stack of the 410 over the 115, both cabinets should be receiving 400 watts respectively, correct? The 115 is rated for 400 watts. I could be wrong, as I'm definitely still learning the ropes when it comes to amps and cabinet combinations.

14. Pushing at the limits of thermal ratings leaves you wide open to creasing from too much low end.

15. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    I also highly doubt that I'll be playing on full blast continuously

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022