1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown ABM 900 and Ohms and cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raul, Mar 3, 2008.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    So...i got an Ashdown ABM 900 head, it's a loud one...it's a great amp. My question is about Ohms and the proper cab for this beast...

at the moment i have one Ashdown 8 Ohm 410T cab. i plan on using a two cab set up to take advantage of the volume and headroom this amp has.

should i be using two 4 Ohm cabs rather than two 8 Ohm cabs? i need mega volume with the people i'm playing with...

please...anyone with advice, please give me know the lowdown...

2. chrisx666

chrisx666

Oct 15, 2006
    Yorkshire UK
    Ok, the ABM900 is a dual (575W+575W) amp. The spec says it can supply two 4ohm speaker cabs with 575W each.

At the moment you have one 8ohm cab. This means you are currently utilising about 320W of the total capability.

Adding another 8ohm cab to the the other output means you will have around 640W available.
    The combination of double the power (+3db) and double the speaker area (+3db) will make a significant difference to your volume level. (3db is a bit like turning your TV up 'one notch' on the remote).

If you want more you would need to switch to two 4ohm cabs. Or add three more 8ohm cabs, but that is getting silly...

3. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    ok, so i think i may need to send the 8 Ohm cab back and get a 4 Ohm cab instead. i need more headroom and volume. and i do plan on using two 4 Ohm 410 cabs. that should do the trick...