Ashdown ABM-C110-300 owners?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spike, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Need some advice here please.

I already have an ABM500 rack head, which I am more than happy with and intend to keep, but I have been offered a s/hand ABM-C110-300 combo (with the new design speaker) and have a couple of questions.
    I will not be able to try it before I buy due to the distance involved, but am told it is 2 months old, as new and used only twice for recording. (Well, it could be true I suppose)

In my quest to find a small usable rig for live work I wondered if any users find this combo acceptable volume and tone wise for gigging with just one 10" speaker?
    Also is it possible to easily disconnect the 10-inch speaker and run a 4 ohms load if required, either one single 4 ohms, or two 8 ohms cabs, or am I locked into just one 8 ohms extension cab?

My band a fairly loud power trio, but I find I don’t need to use all of my power on the ABM500, although I normally use 4x10 with 1x15 or a single 2x15 cabs.

It would be wonderful if a 1x10 300w combo could fit my needs, even with an extension cab, but I have my doubts.

Thanks in advance.

Spike.

2. Matthew West

Matthew West Guest

Sep 7, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I think Steve Lawson uses one of those. You may want to ask him.

3. Spike I don't have an answer for you, but, I was wondering about this myself. It seems that in the past few years a number of high powered combos with small (10 or 12 inch) speakers has appeared.
    My question is: other than being very portable, why would anyone choose a relatively small speaker
    paired with a high powered head? In the current issue of Bass Player magazine, Aguilar introduced a new cabinet; it's a 1x12 cab that can handle 300watts. I can't see hooking up an SVT to this. I have a 60 watt combo with 1x12, and it does its job well, but, I couldn't imagine running 5 times the power through it assuming the speaker could handle it.
    Can anyone give a good reason for doing this?

Mike J.

4. Many of these appear to actually put out half the watts rated with the ohmage of the speaker within. The earlier Ashdown c-110 combo was 300w at 4 ohms but the internal 10" was an 8ohm.

5. Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, I think perhaps, very small with big sound might have been a bit too much to hope for.
    Had a Trace single speaker combo about ten years ago and it wasn’t quite man enough in those days.
    Was really hoping this small Ashdown just might be the one.

As I said, I’m very happy with the ABM500 & multi cab set up, Just wondered what it would feel like to turn up at a show with Amp in one hand and gigbag in the other. :)

I’ve got until Sunday to decide, so if any users could reply I would appreciate it.