Ashdown ABM-C210H-500, Am I Making a Mistake?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groove*Rocket, May 1, 2001.

1. Hi Bassists,

I have just purchased the redesigned Ashdown 210 combo (500W), which includes faster switching preamp, metal grill and "BlueLine" drivers. Realistically I could probably back out of the deal in the next couple of days, if the arguements are compelling. I have not been able to test this unit, because there are no local dealers. I have tested Eden and Aguilar and like the fat Aguilar sound, but do not have the back to haul it around and would prefer spending a bit less than the Aguilar demands. I play fretted (PreEB Stingray) and fretless (J-bass) on jazz, funk , and rock. The sound shapping of the Ashdown preamp has lead me down this path. What I read suggests that it has a warmer, fatter tone than the Eden for example, while preserving crisp, articulate highs. I figure that the power amp should be sufficient for a ss and unlikely to differ significantly from any other available except tubes. The speakers are a bit of a black box and if the argument is compelling, I could switch out of combo mode and go with a separate Ashdown head and different manufacturer 210 cab. I could also wait for delivery as I could return in 48 hours, but would be out $100.00+ for shipping. Please let me know what you think.