Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM EVO I 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wzrdofgz, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Got a chance to pick up a barely used ABM 500 seriesI head for approx $525 w/ a partial trade. Can't decide if I should just wait for a EVO II used, which I've rarely seen, or anty-up & pay $899 new. From what I've read from other TBrs there's not that much difference in the 2. Would like some feedback ASAP. It's going to be driving either an A/groove Tri 210 or a Berg 322!! Thanks!

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    The differences are: you get more grunt from the preamp valve and it is footswitchable, it runs a little quieter at rest and has a blue mute LED.

Other than that, they're pretty much the same beast.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They also beefed up the poweramp a bit. It reacts more quickly now. For me as a jazz player that made a big difference. If you want a bit of sag for other styles, rock, reggae, etc., than the ABM500 is a great amp.

I personally didn't think it would make a difference for me but I love having the valve knob footswithable.........And I just happen to like the color blue so the LED is a bonus. :D

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh, and Ashdown amps and Berg cabs are one of my very favorite combos. :bassist:

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Can you expound on this any? Does the II allow you do drive the tube harder, or does the tone chage? Any other specifics with regard to the preamp section changes between the EVO I and II would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Tom, you know you're going to have to buy an Ashdown head. Just do it.

Or...have you already? I can't keep up.

7. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Hey Tom,

I'm not aware of any changes other than the additional grunt that comes from the preamp section - and it's more of a drive the tube harder change than a change in the tone overall.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks. That is interesting. I'm wondering if an older preamp/head could be modified to drive the preamp tube a bit harder?

[Yes, I'm considering an older model, but I would prefer the ability to drive the tube a bit harder.]

Tom.

9. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    It has more grunt, but the older model isn't exactly gruntless. I'd give it a listen if possible, it very well may be enough...