Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ASHDOWN ABM EVO300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Just ordered my new Ashdown ABM EVO300 MK2 i had the mk1 version a few years back, how do you guys get on with the Ashdown heads.

I am going to use it with Ampeg SVT410HE and SVT15E and on its own with my incoming Schroeder 1210.

I am looking forward to a good bass amp at a sensible price, cost only £550.00 ($880 approx ) so its a great deal.

No silly over inflated prices !!

Let me know your settings etc

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    As I just mentioned in another thread, I use one from time to time at the rehearsal studios I use... great clean tone, I usually add my Sansamp BDDI to dirty it up a bit, although the valve drive grind control is okay at a push.

EQ flat to slight frown. Input so the needle just tips into the red. Valve drive off. Subharmonic thingy off. Output up as far as I can get it :)

3. I run my MK500 into two GS112s and it is just awesome. EQ mostly flat, but I'll pull the 2.6KHz down just a tad. I also leave the subharmonic generator off.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I really love my abm 300 combo, best amp I've found and small to boot.

I usually run mine close to flat with the bass boosted a bit. I normally have the subharmonic off unless i'm playing quitetly and want more ummph and the drive is either off or at about 1-2 o'clock

Hope this helps

5. Any other Ashdown users especially gigging players.

Ashdown is played by alot of pro bands so it must be reasonable gear.

Any good settings ???

6. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I like the sound of my EVO500 a lot, but the knobs bug me a lot...they turn way too easily...just barely brush the thing and pow, your volume just went up/down, etc. And yes, they look very cool. Big deal...cool is only cool when it FUNCTIONS well too. I've thought about putting plastic washers under them to give them more resistence. Maybe replacing them altogether with smaller knobs. Any one else have this complaint?

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love my ABM300 set for rock with:

Shape
    Flat EQ
    Input at 3o'clock
    Drive on at 3o'clock
    180Hz slightly high
    2.6 kHz slightly low
    Sub Harmonizer off

8. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    Yup, just got my ABM Evo II last week, very pleased with it, upgraded from a MAG head and it's much better, not that there was anything really wrong with the MAG. I run it nearly flat, Slight bump on the 340, about 1 o'clock on the middle, slight cut on the 2.6k, and about 11 on the treble, mainly because I've got a very bright Warwick Corvette Proline. Also add varying amounts of Tube, from 9 to all the way if I want to sound very dirty! Currently going through a MAG 210T cab. Proabably will look at running it through the 4 x 8 ABM cab next, anyone tried that yet (as in just by itself?)

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thats how i run it, and its great. Any more specifics? :p

Also, theres a thread i post somewhere here about it, do a search for threads started by me, itll pop up :)

10. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    Cheers, I'll have a look for that. Played an evo a while ago through the 4 x8 and the matching 15 at the Bass Centre London, was utterly shocked buy depth! Wasn't sure if the 4 x 8 would keep the same sort of depth. I suppose it's up to me to try. Something else to spend money on! Getting a bit of a repuation in my band. And with the Bank manager.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well I can highly recommend the mini 1x15 I will be getting one myself soon, to go with my ABM 1x10 combo great combination I think. I was tempted by the 4x8 but I play 5 strings to much that the 1x15 is probably best for my style.

12. I love the sound of my ABM 300 EVO 11 i would say its one of the best amps ive played through, it is a big improvement on the EVO MK1 version, its louder with better features.

I have mine with flat/ shape out, bass at 3 o clock, 180hz flat, 340 hz slight boost, middle flat, 1.3khz up full, 2.6 khz half way up, treble 2 o clock. i have tube gain at 9 o clock and this with my musicman is deep yet very punchy. i boost the 1.3khz to full as it really brings out the clarity and punch yet not brittle or sharp sounding.

For slower numbers add the sub harmoniser at about 10 o clock and this thickens the sound and tracks very well.

This amp rocks as good as the best ( even the mighty SVTCL !! )

13. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    Rig looks good, Toasted!

Bit of a fan. Almost paid off the Head, might look at getting into some more debt!

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I switched from ABM to MAG, since I wanted to downsize my rig and did not need "valve-like" grind any more.

But yeah, ABM amps are great.

Cheers,
    JL

15. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I got an ABM500 EVOII since now a year.
    Great amp ! Very versatile.
    The only thing I don't like is the sub-harmonizer.. Poor effect in my opinion.

I use it in 1x15 and 2x10 Mesa cabs, and In get reaaaaaaaally loud sound, with an active, and even with a passive..

Do you guys use the shape mode ???I don't. Maybe for fretless ?? :confused:

16. I use the button out, in its flat, out is shape which is a bit mids scooped i think

I also like the harmonizer but you must turn it down to about 11 o clock and have tube drive about 9 o clock then it is sweet

17. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I never scoop mine...never use the button so I can't remember if in or out is scooped. I sometimes boot the bass knob to 3:00 and get the same amount of lows, but still have the mids present and no clanky treble.

I only use the subharmonizer as a special effect...and only higher up the neck and never on the E string. I turn it all the way up. Its a great solo tool when you want to smack people upside the head with some fancy phat licks. I also use it on one song all the way through to add girth to a rocker I used to play on the 5 with the low B. I've never used it to "slightly thicken" the sound...just sounds muddy to me...I use the bass knob to thicken. Its a cool effect, just not something you need all the time. Of all the effects out there, the Octave is the one that gets people's attention during a solo...so low.

18. I have ABM 500 Evo I rack head.
    I just love it, great sound and looks good to.
    The only downside is as mentioned before
    the buttons turn just little to easy i think.
    And also the DI could be a little more quiet.
    But i think they have fixed that in Evo II.
    I´m Using for now Bagend 1x15, sounds great
    with the amp, the only prob is that it´s just a 8omh
    cab, so another 8omh cab would be nice for more power.

I never use the flat button, too mid scooped for me.
    I use the subharmonizer a little but only for the high tones
    and with a little grind..

19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA

I also have an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO Rack Mount head. It has been an exceptional Amplifier. Very phat, warm and vintage tones with a touch of Modern high end sparkle and clarity. I use the Sub harmonizer on two songs as an effect. I leave it set to 11 oclock and typically play from a middle C note and up. The amount of affect is proportionate to how much bass is dialed in. The less bass, the less the effect. I keep my bass boosted to 2 oclock typically. grind control is usually at 12 oclock straight up.

What is different in the EVO II versus the EVO I?

20. Same here i love the ashdown, I can´t see myself switching to another amp in the near future, it´s fullfilling all my needs for now.

I don´t know all the changes from Evo I to Evo II.
    But i know the DI is better, and it also just has one input instead of 2, but has instead a active/passive button. The amount of overdrive can now be preset and selected by a footswitch. And it´s suposed to have more headroom.

What cabs are you all using?
    I´m in search for the right cabs to go with my amp. I´ve tried the industry standard :) Ampeg 8x10 it was nice but not what i´m looking for. Swr, didn´t like them at all. Tried Trace Elliot 4x10 + 1x15 it was very impressing. massive low end without being muddy, and very clear tone. Right now i´m using bagend 1x15 8ohm cab. only 200w. I like the sound but i´m competing against 2 loud guitar players and i´m pushing the cab too it´s limits so i´m either looking for a 4ohm 4x10 cab, any suggestions? or looking for a cab that could go with my bagend any suggestions?
    What i´m looking for tonewise is a very thick and clear tone too begin with then i can dirty it up myself if i want to..