Ashdown ABM/Mag experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beavrangers, Dec 28, 2005.

1. This is question is for people who have had experience with either the ABM heads/combos and/or Mag heads/combos. I was looking into getting either one of these for gigging and regular everyday practice, but I need to know whether they have any connectability towards headphones. When im practicing in the near future Im gonna be in a dorm room so that means im gonna have to keep the noise down with respect to the other people in the building. Any input is appreciated.
  2. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    The Mag 300 does not. Not 100% sure on the rest, but think that goes for the ABM line too. On Ashdown's website you can get huge pics of the front and back panels to see if it has an output.

3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    love the Ashdown lines... awesome for whatever.
  4. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    No, none of the amps you mention have a headphone out. they do have a line out that you could run in to a PC and monitor from there

5. Yeh none of them have headphones outs, but don't let that put you off Ashdown. As mentioned there are other ways around it. Ashdown's provide a very beautiful tone. I own the MAG C210t-300. Lovely warm sound, plenty of volume, very reliable. I have played through ABM's before, and the difference is an even nicer tone, more lows than the MAG, and also more highs.
  6. I run my basses through an ABM300 evo2 and it sounds awesome, bugger all to do with headphones though. Ive gigged a couple of compo ashdowns and they were bloody AWFUL, couldnt handle a B string at all, not even at low volumes, id love to say this was a one off experience but its happened three consecutive times!!!

I also blew my 15" last summer, this is all with conservative gain. My advice to potential ashdown customers is this: no distortion, no b strings and CERTAINLY no 5 string NS uprights!

Shame considering the amp sounds so nice, it was wonderful through an ampeg 8x10" cab
  7. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just watched a re run of Live8 this morning.
    looks like an ABM in most of the shots, cant help but think someone has faith in them
    I giged for over a year with a EB-150 and 2 years with a MAG 307 C-115. the MAg has now broken down (its distorting on the output stage when turned up) so now im on to a ABM.
    must admit after reading all the bad press Ashdown have got here and on a few other forums i wish i hadnt but thats just paranoia.
    I am dissapointed with the low output (i would of thought it would at least be the same as the MAG) but i think its because it has a different EQ system. im used to hearing 100hz boosted and the ABM has no control for this freq.

8. jonsmith

Dec 24, 2005
    London, UK
    Lots of artists using Ashdown amps at Live8...

The ABM (range of) tone(s) is absolutely fantastic. I'm surprised at some of the comments about reliability - I've been using ABM amplification for the past three years, with no problems whatsoever.

No headphone sockets I'm afraid. I think you'd have to use their practice range (All Access) for that.
  9. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    giged my ABM last night and its a fantastic sound. very punchy but i think it sounds totaly different to my MAG.
    Although they look very similar the frequencies that the Bass, Mid and trebble work at are different.
    I didnt realise this at the time i got the ABM and was a bit concerend that the ABM sounded different with the same settings, im not complaining of course, just took a while to figure it out.
    The ABM manual has the frequencies wrong for most of the controls so its worth looking on Ashowns website for the correct specs
    Cant wait till i get my aguilar GS210 next month.