Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown abm tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 13, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    im not a big tech head. gear head, yes, tech head, no.

the ashdown abm amps (and im assuming the ashdown lab stuff too) is tube pre and solid state power right? and if thats so that tube pre is a single (1) pre amp tube which is a 12AX7?

thanks for the help.

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    The ABM's will actually let you blend Tube AND SolidState pre-amp sections... You can switch the tube on and off from the front panel or a footswitch...

I know that it does have ONE tube, I think it is a 12AX7, although I'm not sure about that...

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Yes, it is a 12ax7. I asked Ashdown.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what type of tubes do you guys use in your ashdowns? mine is still the stock tube, whatever it may be. but id like to switch out for something else. and have any of you tried an ecc83 tube as oppopsed to the 12ax7?

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I haven't changed mine yet, but I hear the Telefunken NOS are the best. and JJ's might be second best.

6. ECC83 = 12ax7..... :bassist: .......same tube,different name

JJ

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i was thinking about gettin some telefunkens. i hear they are good at the old school sound. but i dont know. thanks for all the help guys.