Ashdown : ABM vs MAG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, May 20, 2002.

1. Go ABM ! MAG won't fit your needs...

30 vote(s)
  2. Don't waste your money : MAG has the same sound quality than ABM...

10 vote(s)
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Going Ashdown combo... I just have one doubt : I play a Rickenbacker, I want its tone to be "respected", though adding to it big bottom-end. I also want a warm tone. And power, so that I can play in small clubs with no harm.

Several experiences say different things :

- either MAG is much "colder" than ABM because of no-tube technology,
    - or Ashdown did a miracle with MAG that can give as much warmth than the ABM.

I don't care about what this amp will cost, nevertheless I wouldn't want to waste money in the ABM extra cost if it's useless.

Your opinions, advices and comments are welcome... I wish to specify I cannot go try any of these amps. I already know the ABM, though.

Thanks in advance,

All the best,
  2. i tried the ABM's and the MAGS 2day (please see my thread below entitled 'What Lovely Jubly Rig?)

If anything i'd say the Tube in the ABM lends itself better to 'grind' rather then warmth, seeing as thats whats written on the rotary control wen its all the way to tube. You Can get a nice light distorsion from it. warmth......ummmm, nope :)

if i wwas gonna get an ashdown, which i'm not (see my post below) i'd get the MAG 400

3. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    I haven't tried a MAG but I do have an ABM 500. I like the tone but I agree with the other poster, the tube is used mostly to add some grind. I actually added an IOD to get more warmth out of the head but it's fine as a stand alone unit.

4. I have a Mag 200 4x10 combo, and it is MASSIVELY underpowered for my band, it will not keep up with my two guitarists 50 watt rigs, it has a lovely tone until it is pushed. Don't use it anymore other than a practice amp at home.
  5. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    This is a copy of my comments from "Ahdown Amps" thread, in which you were considering the ABM 115-500.

I've had my ABM 115-500 combo for just a week now and done one rehearsal and two gigs. It's fantastic. I hardly used the EQ as it sounds great running flat. Loads and loads of bottom which is just what I was looking for. I've been looking to update my gear for ages and about 2 weeks ago bought an Ashdown EB 130-15 to tide me over in rehearsals. I was so pleased with it, and hearing all the good things about Ashdown gear, bought the ABM 115-500 without even trying it! Hows that for confidence in a product!!!!
    There is a big difference between the MAG and the ABM stuff. I tried out a MAG 200-15 combo during the time I was looking and wasn't too impressed at all. I compared it in the shop with a Warwick Sweet 15 and the Warwick had more bottom end and warmth ( both amps running flat).
    But as for the ABM.........well .... Is there really anything else?
  6. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Oh, I forgot to tell you.
    The best position for the mix control for the Solid State/ tube is at 1 o'clock (1300 hrs) position.
  7. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Get the ABM !!!! But add 30 minutes to the 13:00 hrs Tube blend control knob position ...
  8. I'm planning to buy a ashdown pre-amp (abm)

So if you don't like the grindsound of the tube should you leave it off then?

What if you change the tube in the ABM, with a tube wich gives more warmth, would this make a difference?
  9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks to all. I finally could try several Ashdown amps, and there's no more doubt : ABM kills MAG for the kind of sound I need. I double the 13:00 / 13:30 position for the blend knob is excellent.

One more time, I was really impressed by the ABM-C115-500. For the first time I could try it with my Rickenbacker 4003. Even with any SVT, I had never heard that Rick tone with so much big bottom naturally added (all tone knos flat, just playing with the blend and without the sub-harmonizer). Just fantastic. Far beyond what I was hoping for. My order form is ready :)

Rich37, for what I've heard, if you don't like that tube grinding sound, then I think maybe you should consider a MAG. It's less expensive, and does not have that blend that seems to be useless to you.

All the best,
  10. I haven't played through any Ashdown gear yet, but I hope to make a brief roadtrip some weekend to do so.
    I keep hearing "warmth" or "grind" when you guys talk about Ashdown. Are they kind of Ampeg-like tonally, or can you get more modern sounds with more highs out of them?
    I really want to try these out before I make any amp related decisions- I keep hearing such good things about Ashdown's volume and tone.
  11. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I had a MAG 400h head. It sounded killer, was lightweight and looked cool as all getout with the backlit VU. The power just was not quite there for me even going into an Ampeg 610hlf. I still recommend Gooday's Ashdown amps regardless. He's got a great thing going and I do hope to own an RPM-1 preamp at some point.

Between ABM and MAG? I agree with some of the other folks here, a MAG 400 should do you just fine.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    old posts are fun :D

I own a Mag combo and love it!

the ABM smokes it... if'n I had the $$$ at the time I would have got an ABM.
  13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have an Ashdown ABM500 EVO in the chrome rackmount flavor. Gorgeous. I LOVE the Grind/tube/SS control. Let your ears be the judge. I think just enough warm tube grind and grit makes my Modulus quantum 5 growl like a bad dog! and that's a GOOD thing. I think the ABM is great and very verstile.
  14. Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    This one?
    Sweetest amp.I`ll vote to ABM
  15. Damn nutkin, how do you keep that thing soo shiny??? mines looking ****ty covered in fingerprints and little scratches
  16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Damn nutkinhow do you keep that thing soo shiny??? mines looking ****ty covered in fingerprints and little scratches
    I keep mine in a rack. That prevents scratches and marks. Thenm when it's time to take photo's, well, ....I would just polish it to make her nice and shiny. Great amp huh?
  17. yeah not too shabby as an amp, i mean who needs women when u got something as sexy as that? id marry mine
  18. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I love my EVO 300 ABM...

I put a Telefunken 12AX7 in the preamp, and keep the blend control dimed on the tube side. It really warms up the tone of my G&L.

I have the eq shaped pretty heavily to work in our rehearsal space witch is a horribly bright room, but I use the pre-set eq on gigs.

Love it, love it, love it!