Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM vs Mesa M-Pulse

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philzbass, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Well, it looks like its coming down to these 2.

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II
    Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600

I've spent some time playing around with both, and I like em both. I'm just wondering what you guys/gals think.

Thanx

2. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Oh man...I don't envy that decision.

I own an Ashdown ABM 500, love it. But I also love Mesa Boogie...

What it gets down to is what your gut is telling you. Have you done a blind fold test?

3. No blind folds, but I've done an A/B on em.

It's a tough decision. I like some of the extra features the Ashdown has (ValveDrive, SubHarmonics). But on the other hand the Mesa has a pretty nice compressor, and a semi-parametric eq.

And they both sound soooooooooooooo good. :confused:

4. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    OK, go back and put on a blind fold and see if you like Coke or Pepsi better.

Really, you can't go wrong with either. My only real thought here is it may be easier to service the Mesa (if ever needed) as they are in California. Ashdown is in the UK, and, well, just as an example, the nearest authorized service place is in Los Angeles (I'm in SF Bay, and I know Ashdown is looking for someone in my area). I'm literally a 45 minute drive from Mesa Boogie. I'm thinking about a second amp, and I have narrowed the field down to Mesa, Eden and Thunderfunk.

This IS NOT a terrible problem you have here...but I know how one can go nuts with amplifiers...way different decision than basses, and sometimes the sonic differences are minimal at higher price points.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My choice would be the Ashdown, but would be because of the price. Don't know what they are in the USA, but here in Europe, the ABM500 is WAY cheaper than the M-Pulse 600.

Cheers
    Jay

6. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    I wish Mesa would at least post the suggested price on their website, so we could get a comparative price on gear. Only thing I know was the price of my Walk-about-Scout 12 was at GC, which is the only place within 100 miles to get one.

7. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Get the Ashdown.

I had the M-Pulse 600 and I sold it shortly after. It won't go to two ohms even tho the back of it says it can. The manual says they don't suggest it and I called MB and they told me not to run it at 2 ohms. The dealer insisted it did then after I bought it he wouldn't let me return it. I took a huge loss on it.

Also, the compressor screws with the power. The more compression you crank in you get a REAL loss on power.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What cabinets are you using?

The M-Pulse 600 sounds like a dream going through Mesa cabinets if you are going for a hi-fi punchy sound.

ABM series really seems to be up and coming, though I only have experience with the MAG series. The Ashdown is probably better value all in all.

9. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I am using two Ampeg SVT-410HLF cabs (2 ohms together). Sound is fine thru a 4 or 8 ohm but it heats up and cuts out with 2 ohms (2x4ohm cabs). The compressor was the disappointment. If you turn it up the power gets cut way back. If you don't use it or use it very little I gues it isn't an issue but sometimes I like to squish my signal.

Also, the para eq is really touchy. I always had to play with it at each venue to get it right. The Ampeg pre I use now I just set it and never need to change it except for maybe just a little in different clubs but I can usually leave it set and adjust from my Bartolini eq on my bass.

10. I've got the same cab (Ampeg SVT 410HLF) I'm only using one, although getting another one has crossed my mind.

Doesn't that get kinda muddy though?

And do you know if Ashdowns will go down to 2 ohms?

BTW I have tried both amps through it.

11. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I now have an Ashdown ABM 500 and love it. I had a Mesa Mpulse 600.. I loved that amp too.. Built better that anything I have seen as far as production bass amps.. The inside was imaculate.. They only thing that worried me about it was that the Fan Vent was too the side of the amp and was always afraid of the amp overheating on oudoor summer shows.. It never did But you could fry an egg on the hot air that came out.. Just wish it vent through the rear or front like others.. Otherwise Both Amps sound amazing in my opinion.. I like the Sub harmoizer on the ashdown and the Eq.. Am to me I thin k the askdown is louder thena the Mpulse 600.. But I never AB them on the same speakers and only going by a failed memory.
    I love my ashdown and prefer its EQ section over the Mesa.

12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've owned both (at seperate time periods). Both are great amps. Different sounds, but both good. Try them in a live setting if you can. What kind of cabs are you using?

13. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know where everyone says these cabs are muddy. Mine is crystal clear and I leave the horn off. I think sometimes it depends on the bass and playing technique. I use an Ibanez BTB1005e with Bart's in it and it is very clear and articulate. I get oodles of comments on how good my rig sounds. If you are have clarity problems I would thro in a BBE Maximizer and that will do the trick.

14. I only asked because for a 410 the SVTHLF gets a TON of lows. I love mine, but I've never heard 2 together.

I also leave the horn off (I think it sounds alot better) my only problem as far as sound goes, is that I'm using an Ampeg B2R and there is NO headroom, I mean, I can crank that thing and still feel like it should be louder. It sounds nice, just not enough power.

15. I think I'm leaning towards the Asdown at this point.

Thanx for all the help

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I havent fiddled around w/ any Mesas, tho I've wanted to. But, I have Ashdown. In reality, if you like both... which can you get the best deal on?

17. The Ashdown is a better deal. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it.

18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I keep checking out the Mesa M-Pulse 600 at my local music store and everytime I play through it I am impressed. Big time. I have an Ashdown ABM500 and sometimes struggle with it. Loved it mostly, but since using a Mesa Walkabout for most of my smaller gigs, I find I have acclamated to the Mesa sound. Just not digging the Ashdown lately. I use it through a Bergantino HT322 (4 ohm cab). So its seeing the full Ashdown power. Never have needed more power.

I'd love to hear from anyone who loves their Mesa M-Pulse 600's. Seems they may be the minority. But that amp is so well built, and the power into 4 ohms should be plenty. I'm not worried about 2 ohms with a 600 watt amp.