1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown ABM --- with a Mesa Diesel 400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 83_Silberpfeil, Oct 24, 2013.

1. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    OK, a week ago I started a post to ask about my current gig rig --- Behringer 3000 and Mesa Diesel 400. I am convinced (from inputs of this awesome fourm) that the Mesa cap is fine and the culprit is the Behringer head that I bought for $75 on CL.

So, I'm thinking of picking up a Ashdown ABM head to go with my Mesa cab.

What says this forum of experts about this combo?

I will play with 3 different basses --- 1) Yamaha BB1200S; 2) Hagstrom Viking (reissue) short scale hollow body; 3) Squier Bass VI. I play pretty high on the neck most of the time --- Peter Hook, Joy Division, New Order stuff.

2. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I run and Ashdown ABM 900 through Ashdown cabs and love the sound. Fits whatever I play with a bit of EQ tweaking. Peter Hook uses Trace Elliott gear and the owner of Ashdown used to work fairly high up in Trace before forming Ashdown, so maybe trying a Trace head would be worth a go if you can find one? I find Ashdown to sound a bit warmer and rounder than the Trace gear, but obviously this is just my opinion and you may find the complete opposite is true with your gear!

Best bet is to demo the head(s) and see if you like the sound.

Only problem I can see with running the ABM with your setup is if you are running multiple basses which have very different outputs (i.e. some hotter than others), you may need some kind of switcher with a volume or gain control for each channel so that you don't have to switch inputs and fiddle with the input gain on the amp when changing basses.