Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM300 vs. MAG400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    The Battle Rages On...

Has anyone tried either or both of these? ABM 300 is rated 320W@4ohms and has plenty of features MAG 400 is more powerfull producing 500W@4ohms, but lacks the hi-tech features of the ABM (which I probably would never use anyway), but it is 200€ cheaper too.

I'd probably get a 2x10" and 1x15" to go with the head. Talking about Ashdown. Would a MAG-115-200 (1x15", 150W@8ohms) together with the MAG-210T-200 (2x10" + Horn, 200W@8ohms) provide enough of warm and punchy rock/metal db's for small to medium sized clubs? Or should I go for the ABM 1x15" and 2x10" cabs which are rated 300W each?

Any comments?

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The biggest difference between the two is the tube front end on the ABM - if you want a tube sound, or any 'proper' overdrive from the amp itself, you gotta get the ABM. I love to tube warmth of it. However, the MAG is hardly brittle - the tweaked FET preamp is cool, though obviously doesn't respond so well to being overloaded. If you only want clean sounds from it, or get your distortion from an FX unit then the MAG should be fine.

Depends how 'deep' a sound you want - if punchy is the operative word, then you might prefer the MAG cabs - not that the ABMs are scooped or anything, but the lighter wood and shallower depth of the MAG cabs does mean that their 'sweet-spot, for want of a better word, is slightly higher.

it's all well made stuff, and your best bet is to try out all the gear before buying! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I give a ditto to Steve's reply.

FWIW, when I had the MAG C115-200 I decided if I were to add to it I'd get the ABM 210.

I like idea of a smoother sound of the ABM, I was going to eventually upgrade to a ABM 500 and add a 115. I wanted the higher power handling and I believe they are more efficient.

But, it's all a moot point as I decided to go light weight/small rig and got the Eden WT-400 and 2 Aguilar GS112's.

4. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    ...for your comprehensive opinion! I've never actually played through a tubed head but I do like the organic sound of those that i've heard. as far as driving the head, I'll probably get the SansAmp DDI to do the job.

My only concern about the MAG series cabs is their relatively low power rating.

And then there is the ABM BP1510HX. Mmmmm...

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Mara,

my experience with the Ashdown cabs is that they are remarkably versatile - at the moment, I've got a rig on loan from Ashdown - a 500ABM head, a MINI 4x8 cab and a MINI 1x10 - the 4x8 is rated much much higher than the 1x10, but the combination works great. I wouldn't want to run it flat out, but at 'sensible' volume, the sound is amazing, and easily loud enough for me...

Where abouts in Finland are you? Does Jan Olof Strandberg's shop stock Ashdown? If you go there, say hi to Jan from me - he's a great guy!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Steve,

I live in Helsinki and yes Jan-Olof 's Soundata still sells Ashdown and also EBS. I just sent an email asking if he can match the prices for Ashdown to those given by Musik Produktiv in Germany. As with many things, prices for bass amps, etc. in Germany tend to be a lot lower than in Finland.

I'll be sure to tell him greetings from you when I see him.

Do you have any plans to play in Finland anytime soon? Would be great to hear you fully utilising that beautifull Modulus 6 together with your Ashdown rig.

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Mara,

I'd LOVE to come and play in Finland! Have a word with Jan and see if he's interested in me doing a clinic for Ashdown - I'm sure he could liase with them... Flights are really cheap if you book them in advance... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR

How did the second 112 affect the sound? I have the WT400 and one aguilar 112 looking at getting another later in the year.

9. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I'll PM you rather than Hijacking this thread. :)

Rod B.