1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown ABM500 Evo II head for an EBS 4x10??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattOfSweden, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MattOfSweden

MattOfSweden Playing for time

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Own a 4ohm 4x10 EBS and have been looking for an amazing allround head to go with it for some time. Just got rid of a pretty boring Warwick head (IMHO) so I need something good, fast and cheap (in that order of priority) :help:

I'm now getting close to deciding to go with an Ashdown ABM500 Evo II (or III depending on my dealer, no huge difference, right?).

Would I be doing something completely crazy putting these two together? Or should I sell my EBS 4x10 and look for both head+cabinet? So far everything I tested was on my EBS cabinet...

Would ideally want my rig to give me a tonal range to cover all styles of music (who wouldn't? ;) ) Perhaps not the heaviest of metal though...

Any and all advice welcome
    peace / :bassist:

2. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I love my ABM 500 evo II, but I don't think of it as the most versatile piece of gear. The main sound that it excels at is "fat and warm". It's not too dissimilar from the Ampeg sound, though I think it's capable of a bit more articulation than that. A little less murky, I suppose.

My previous amp was a GK 2001RB, and while I greatly prefer the sound of the Ashdown, i find that I can't get the kind of edgy solid state tones out of the ashdown that the GK could do without even trying. I'm a pick player so the warmth of the Ashdown really helps, but I wouldn't consider it a jack-of-all-trades kind of amp. I would categorize it as more of a rock amp, with a vintage-y feel... and warm, always warm.

You might look at Genz-Benz if you really need versatility, but if any of the above tones sound good to you, test out an Ashdown and see if it's to your liking.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I can get a very modern, hi fi sound out of my ABM 500 evo II when I choose to.

4. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I'll be honest, I'm running all passive basses at the moment so that's probably a part of it on my end. But compared to the GK... I haven't been able to get that sound out of it yet. I just think the Ashdown has a general character or coloration to it which leans towards the warm end of the spectrum. Given, I love the way it sounds, so i'm not complaining!

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I fully understand.

Here's my basic EVO II settings.

Treble 2:15-3:00
    Mid 1:15-2:00
    Bass 9:00-10:00

Input Gain around 12:00 (ignore VU meter and avoid overdriving input for clean sound)

Output As loud as you need, I had mine about 10:00

EQ button ON

Slides

2.6khz @ 2 dots above centre detent
    1.3khz @ 2.5 "
    340hz @ 3 "
    180hz @ 3.5 "
    valve drive OFF
    Passive/Active OUT
    Flat/Shape OUT

6. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    My main bass is a Marcur Miller Jazz with pretty zingy electronics and my 2nd one is an 80's Yamaha bb300s with EMG active electronics, so I can tweak quite a bit already from the bass. High tech sound should be no problem, hopefully. Play 70% of the time on the jazz in passive, the rest is slap.

What bothered me with my old amp (Warwick profet) was that it was (IMO) only the high tech sound that was close to good, and then the amp's filters and eq were tweaked quite a bit.

Really like the comment about "warmth" mrKing, I think that might be just what my basses need... "Fat" is also nice, but not if it gets fluffy and nondistinct...

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The ABM EVO is more versatile than most people think and if you want thick and warm but not fluffy, then you will not be let down.

8. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Sounds more and more like an Ashdown for me :cool:

However, what do you think about the high tech part of the spectrum - Will I still be able to dial in a Mark King or Marcus Miller sound on the Ashdown? :confused: That was the only sound the Warwick was capable of getting close to.

Also, how big of a difference is the Cab compared to the Head? I'm sitting with a lone 4ohm EBS 4x10 right now... Would the Ashdown sound wildly different on different cabs ?please say no ;)

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You can get a very bright Hi-FI sound out of the EVO II but not as bright as what you would get out of the GK, but you can get very very Hi-Fi if you want out of the Ashdowm Mark King head(which I do use on occasion).

Here's a clip of me using one of my Ashdown rigs. an ABM EVO II RC and 1 410 cab. This was recorded with a hand held video recorder(with a very small mic).

I'm an Ashdown endorser for over 10 years and if I wasn't I would be using their amps and cabs anyway because I really like them.

10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Listening/watching Jauqo's clip makes me reconsider my original comments about versatility, since my tone is very far from his on the tonal spectrum... which is pretty awesome! My settings vary depending on the bass i'm using, but I usually run the main EQ knobs relatively flat (small treble boost, small bass cut) and I use the flat EQ switch rather than the "curve" or whatever Ashdown calls it. I run the input as hot as I can get it before it hits red, and I keep the tube drive set around 1:30... as you can imagine I like a pleasantly overdriven vintage sound. But hearing Jauqo's far more hi-fi tone is actually really cool, since I didn't realize you could get into that territory with the Ashdown. Live and learn!

Anyway: buy one and prosper!

11. bbe

bbe

Nov 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    ive also been lookin at this head and was wondering how good of a slap tone if can create. anyone have some wisdom on this?

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    In the above clip, I'm slapping and using a pick.

Thanks Mr. King, The EVO II can get even more Hi-Fi than what you hear in the clip.

13. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Think I just might, but now that Jauqo (really cool videos - tons of respect man) brought in the Mark King Ashdown in the mix, a new question arises:

EVO II or the Mark King model? Are they totally different animals (Stockholm dealer only has the EVO in stock at the moment) or more "same but different? If so how?
    Do you experts use the sub-thingy a lot on the EVO, and how warm is the Mark King? (really like the red color)

Really appreciate your input guys, thanks alot

14. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I don't use the subharmonic thing (really just an octave effect) hardly at all, only occasionally when I'm jamming, and then it's just for fun. If I really wanted that sound i'd probably just buy a dedicated octave pedal.

I haven't played the Mark King model -- and I'm sure Jauqo can give you a better response because he's familiar with both -- but my understanding is that the ABM line is generally more in the "warmer / vintage" camp, and that the Mark King falls more in the "hi-fi / clean" side of things. Obviously that's not a cut and dry kind of thing, but that's how i've heard others describe it. Also a big difference is the setup of the EQ. I'm more of a knob guy myself, so I gravitate towards the ABM more than the graphic EQ of the Mark King. But from what I hear, people love both amps quite a bit.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks.

The EVO II and the Mark King are like daylight and darkness.

The EVO II can get no where as Hi-FI as the MK500 and the MK500 can not get as warm as the EVO II, close but not there and If you want even more Hi-Fi zing out of the MK500, depending on your EQ settings just engage the Harmonic Emphasis button.

I'm speaking from first hand experience I own both amps.

And I very rarely us the Sub-Harmonics feature

I've attached a pic of my black MK500 to give you an idea what it looks like(one of only 3 made, with James Lomenzo owning one and a costumer with the other one).

Attached Files:

16. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    The black looks awesome :hyper: wanna sell? ;) Maybe I could get a red one and carefully spraypaint it :bag:

In your mind, which one would you choose? I realize that's a typical "it depends onwhat you want" invitation, but for allround sound covering miller funk - reggeae - jazz - jaco -rock - pop, if you had to choose one of these two, which one would it be?

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks.

:)

I would have to say the EVO II because for most music there's a basic sonic spectrum that falls in the safty zone of tone while the MK500 is like a fast car that if you've never takin a fast high quality car for a spin it can be a reality check.

But seriously both are killer amps and they really are like Apples to Oranges.

18. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    :cool: Cool, really cool :cool:

Thank you both for allowing me to tap into your knowledge and experience - during the weekend I will go test drive the EVO II, bring it over to my band, and fingers crossed be totally amazed - even though the expectations are high by now ;)

Bugs me just a little that it's 40% higher priced in Sweden than in the US though, but that's life. The expense is short term, the joy is long term.

Thanks again guys / :bassist: Mattias

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You're welcome.

20. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    The EVO500II sounds very good with the EBS 410. Good match with the slightly warm Ashdown and the more hi-fi EBS. The Ashdown was one of the amps on my list when I was shopping for a new amp a while ago. I finally went with the Mark Bass LMII, witch IMO sounded as good or even better, and was much smaller, lighter and cheaper. But for others, the EVO will be better, matter of taste..