Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM500 EVO II - opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carl-anton, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Got a few Ashodown questions:

I can get a new ABM500 (UK made) for about 1000 $. Is this a good price?
    Would it's 575 watts been noticable lower in volume than my current 750 watts, and would it drive my two Goliath 4x10s?

Soundwise, how does the valve thingy work? Can I get clean tube warmth without getting overdrive or distortion? Or is the tube meant to give you woolly overdrive rather than tubey clarity? The sound I'm after isn't a long way of the SWR sound, just a tad warmer. (I'll also be looking into the BDDI, but this deal just showed up, and it's the last one)

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    the price seems well anough. id go for it.

if you want warm you want ashdown. definately warm. as far as driving your cabs go...as long as they are both 8ohm then yes. the abm 500 can only do a 4 ohm load. that is plenty enough. 575watts is good too, youll be just fine.

you can get the cleanest cleans wiht it. just leave the valve knob dialed off. the only way your gonna get its overdrive is if you dial it in. thats it.

3. If I leave the valve knob dialed off, but with the in/out button switched on, will that put the tube in the signal path?

4. I'd use the tube pre as a seperate channel. the SS sounds great as a clean channel and cick the tube in for a mild overdrive. It's sounds great to me like that!

nice sounding amp!

5. I had the EVO300 and found it very under powered, i guess the EVO500 will be better but im sure the ratings are a bit exagerated. I have the real low cost Mag 300 head, very good for the money, very clean sounding all solid state and 307w but again i would say its nearer to 200w.

Ashdown EVO500 11 are priced at £825 here in the UK, check out www.soundslive.co.uk they also export to wherever and they are dirt cheap and very reliable.

Martin