Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown ABM500 EVO II Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Th9nker, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, my new head finally came today... :) Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with the amp... :bawl: It powers up fine but when my speaker cabinet is attached, it emits a continuous LOUD noise... This happens with everything turned down, with no instrument plugged in, and even with the mute engaged... My cabinet is an older Peavey 300 watt 4ohm 4x10 that works fine with every other head I use it with... Anybody have any clue as to what would cause this???

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i doubt this has anything to do wiht it. but that amp is to strong for the cab. teh amp pushes 575 @ 4 ohms. and your ab is only 300? you might want to get a new cab too.

3. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Oh yeah, I am definately getting new cabs... I actually have another one and was going to run them both until I got the new ones...

Just gotta get a working amp first...

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    running two 4 ohm cabs off one 4 ohm will nto be good either. so dont do that.

the amp however...i dont know. you might want to consider contacting both your dealer and ashdown.

5. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    ^^^

That's right...

I knew that...

And I'm waiting for both of them to get back in touch with me...

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You can easily run both 4ohm cabs, just make sure to not go to 2 ohms while doing it.

As far as your problem goes, my guess is a bad cap somewhere perhaps? Depends excatly on what a "noise" is. Could be the cable you're using even. Could be a lot of different things...

Try new speaker cables.
    Try different cabs, since you have another handy, plug into that.
    Try a different output on the head, see if you get the same result.
    Does it worsen when you turn knobs or anything?

Ray

7. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I don't have the other cab with me right now... Tried a new cable, same thing... There is only one 1/4 inch output and one SpeakOn output on the amp, my cab only takes 1/4 inch so I can't try another output...

The sound is a LOUD tone-like buzz and is unfected by anything on the amp, even the mute... The amp only has to be on for it to happen... :confused:

The cab and cable both work fine with my other head...

Hmmm... Maybe I will take it to my local music store tomorrow and try the SpeakOn output...

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Best of luck...

9. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah thanks.... I'll keep y'all posted...

10. that sound happened to me once, roughly the way you describe... if i hit the strings really hard they sorta just changed the tone of the buss a little!

it turned out to be a noisy power supply... a bad grounding connection i think but the repair shop man didn't explain it too well!

11. I got my ABM 500 EVOll in June. The first one arrived and the tube side of the preamp was dead. Blame Fedex. I opened up the head and one of the printed circuit boards was broken loose and banging around inside the head. Called Dave at Avatar and it was replaced IMMEDIATELY!!!! The guy is unbelieveable. Anyway, the point is that the Ashdown head is a bit on the fragile side now having seen the inside. (I'm a tech by day). Yours might have taken a beating during shipping also and something broke loose. Got a good one now and I wouldn't want to part with it. Love the tone thru my Aguilar GS112's.
    Good luck.

12. If the fault you are describing sounds like a pulsing sound even with no bass connected its the same fault i had on my MAG300, its either the power amp internal fuse gone or the Mosfet power amp side is faulty. It happened to me when plugging / unplugging my cabinets ( 2 off 8 ohm ) to compare sounds, there was a little spark off the 1/4" jack and then it made that horrible noise. Sent it back to Ashdown and they fixed it under warranty in about 3 days approx.

Hope this helps a bit

13. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay, here's what I've done... I connected the line out to the "preamp-in" on my other head, then hooked the other head up to the cab... it didn't sound the best, but everything worked... so there is obviously something wrong with the power amp or the speaker output... Tomorrow I'm going to try to hook it up to another cab using the Speakon output...

I bought it as a "Cosmetically Blemished" item and got a really good deal on it... if it is something as simple as a faulty 1/4 inch jack, then I am going to keep it and just get it fixed... it was guarranteed to be in perfect working order... the retailer has offered me a NEW one at $150 off of their regular price... I'm still talking to Ashdown about the problem and what their thoughts are, great folks by the way...

14. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay,

update:

I took it to a local music store today and tried it with other cabs, got the same results.... I was told that it seems to be a "Dead Short"... I suppose I'm going to return it to the retailer for a refund... The deal that they have offered me on a new one really isn't that great....

Dammit....

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

funny, ive sent them 4 or so e-mials over a 2 week span. no reply. odd how that happens.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've always recieved same or next day replies to emails on all subjects. The fella who answers the phone there (could be David) is always extremely helpful also. try calling instead :)

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i guess ill have to do that

18. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay, here's the deal:

I have determined that it is a "Dead Short" somewhere in the power amp section... So basically, I am sending it back for a refund... damn... Looks like that "Cosmetic Blemish" was a little more then skin deep... That kinda makes me concerned about the overall durability of the Ashdown line... Although, I have no idea what this thing has been through... I think I may try to get a deal from Avatar on one since I was looking at those cabs anyway... Thank for the input everyone...

19. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have heard that Ashdown is kind of skimpy on their packaging.

It's one of the biggest reasons I have a hard time with buying an amp mail order. I like to be able to plug the mother in and make sure it works before it comes home with me.

Cheers,
    Chris

20. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, now I'm just waiting on the return label to get here so that I can send it back... what a pain in my ass....