ashdown abm500 (or 300 if loud enough) vs. ampeg svt cl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Dec 16, 2003.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I currently own a classic but when I think back to how good and tubey an ashdown sounded, it makes me wonder. Out of curiosity, what is your guy's opinion on the two heads and which would you prefer. Thanks - Bret
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ashdown because it's easier to coax overdrive out of it when wanted, and that they sound fatter. They're also lighter. :bassist:

Also, because of this man:
  3. Well, I've never tried an Ampeg SVT.....but I've tried the Ampeg setting on my Sansamp BDDI and it sounds good!

I personally own an Ashdown ABM500 Evo. It's a nice lightweight amp, that is seriously loud with it's eqaully lightweight Mini48 and Mini15 cabinets. I can get the whole lot in my boot (trunk) without folding my seats down. Kicks out nearly 600watts.

With the Sansamp in my pedal board, I can go from Ashdown to Ampeg(in a manner of speaking)at the flick of a switch - best of both worlds I think! (Especially in terms of weight I have to lug around!)
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I also have an ABM 500 EVO (rack-mount version.) It is very loud for it's rating, and it produces very warm, fat tones. When I compared it to an Ampeg a while back, I remember the Ashdown being fatter sounding (to my ears, at least.)