Ashdown ABM500 or RPM-1 + power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurisu, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm trying to decide, and I hope someone else can lend their expertise. :)

For me,

ABM500 Pro's:
    - Lighter, all in one, convenient, not embarrasing to show up to a blues gig with, and... sexy. :)

ABM500 Con's:
    - May underpower the cabs I'm interested in (Bergantino's)

Rack rig Pro's:
    -Much more watts for the money (Crest CA6 for ex.), never have worry about underpowering cabs, can try diff pre's later.

Rack rig Con's:
    -Heavier, bulkier, embarrassing on small gigs and jams, need a rack, rack size will dwarf one or two 1x12s, noisier, more expensive, not sexy.

I'm thinking of getting either two Bergantino HT112s, a HT322, or one of the NV cabs, depending on what my eventual requirements turn out to be.

Thanks one and all!
  2. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Why would you be embarrased to show up with a preamp and power amp?
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive always prefered amps to pre/power setups. however i would love to get that ashdown labs ad-600 preamp or whatever it is. that thing looks sweet.

but what are your bergie cabs rated at. the 500 does 575 watts @4 ohms. it should be more than enough power i would think.
  4. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Probably because it would be such a big rack, with an RPM-1 and a Crest CA6. The thing would dwarf an HT112, you know?

I guess I don't really care about looks (I mean, I do a bit, but not enough to change my decision), it just seems silly to carry around such a huge power section. From a practicality standpoint. The head seems more convenient.
  5. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    there, fixed it for you. :)

The HT112 is rated at 300, the HT210 at 500, the NVs upwards of 800. But others on talkbass have said that the bergantino's love power, so as a general rule of thumb have twice the power as the cabs can handle. see the problem? :(

If this whole 'power hungry' thing is overrated, and I could get a hell of a lot of sound out of an ABM500 and two HT112s, a HT210 + HT115, or a HT322, then I'd be happy. I just don't want to have to sell it later when I find out I can't get enough out of it.
  6. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Oh, one more question:

Is the ABM500 power section better or different from any other power amp's? I would get three times the power out of a QSC RMX or a Crest CA for the same overall price...
  7. rob

Mar 26, 2004
    the ABM C410T-500 EVO II Combo has stolen my heart....
    pretty much all you need im 1 combo :ninja:
  8. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use the RPM-1 into a QSC PLX 1602 and together it isn't very heavy (almost the same weight as the ABM500), plus I get 1600W of power into my cabinets. The only downfall of it is needing 4 rack spaces instead of 2 (I currently have it mounted in a 6 space rack with a power conditioner.

I recommend this setup a lot.
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Here you go: I own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO head and a Bergantino HT322 which is allegedly very power hungry. This amp/cabinet has been Mind blowing stellar! I am NEVER underpowered and always have way more adjustment on my Master Volume to boost if needed. I've never needed to dial the Master Volume past 50% up. That was only for an outdoor gig with a loud rock band. I had no PA support and my Amp/cab had major whoop a**.

I use 5 string basses (Modulus and F Bass). Both have seriously punchy, robust low B strings and I've never wanted or needed more power.

I was also concerned about the power being marginal considering that most recommend feeding Bergies with a lot of power. Personally, I've never needed it. I play R&B, Blues,classick Rock, Jazz and Funk. The Ashdown ABM500 EVO/Bergie HT322 combo does it all well.

Would a Pre/Power rig sound better or have more punch and definition? I don't know, but my sound has been so solid, tight, punchy, clear and well focused, I've never been tempted to spend the time, energy and money to find out. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions. - Gary
  10. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    PS: The very knowledgeable staff at Bass NW also said they were extremely impressed by the Ashdown ABM500 EVO / Bergantino cabinet combination. I am not affiliated with Bass NW in any way. I just did my research and they were able to give me a first hand opinion of that combination of amp/Cab. That has been my experience as well. - Gary
  11. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK

Wow, that was a great post! Thanks gary!

I'm now leaning towards the head and an HT210 + HT115. Do you think there would be the same response as your HT322?
  12. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I think that Bergie combination with the 1x15 and 2x10 would KILL with that amp. I personally love the warmth and fatness of the Ashdown while still being able to dial in plenty of modern, crystal clear high end. The grind control is equally cool to add some edge and dirt for a phat, greasy vibe if you want. I find my combination os Ashdown and Bergie affords any tone I want. A highly versatile and powerful combination. I *always* get compliments on my tone.

I am a big fan of all the Bergantino Cabs. I have found that for me, the HT322 is the one cab that does it all. But with a 1x15 / 2x10, you could use the 2x10's for small quiet gigs if need be. That would probably be even more versatile.

Lastly, I've read that those who use the Bergie 1x15 and 2x10 cabs together actually like placing the 1x15 on top for a better sound. If that's the way you go, check it out. - Gary
  13. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

or complicated too. hahaha
  14. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Hey Kurisu, how did your search finally turn out? I find myself in exactly the same boat as you were in 2004. I have an ABM300, and used to use the mini 4x8 +1x15 stack...until I recently scored on a used bergie HT210/115 stack. Now I need more juice in the power section and am looking at exactly the same models as you were - ABM500 EVO II vs. Crest CA-6 w/Ashdowm RPM pre. I am also considering the same factors - size, weight, expense, flexibility, and of course, sexiness.

Which way did you finally end up going?
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've got an RPM-1 + Crown XLS 402 bridged pushing to Aggie GS112's. 1 cab = 8ohm @ 800w 2 cabs = 4ohms @ 1140w.

Did I purposely decided to go pre-power? I did, only because I thought splitting up the expense would make it more palatable for MrsHack. I have no need for more power, but I'm glad I have the flexibilty to swap in a better power amp if need be.

I've got everything in a 6u SKB rack, & it doesnt look awkward at all. Sure an ABM head would free up 2 slots in the rack. Yea, its probably a little heavier. The RPM 1 weighs alot less than an ABM does. After you add the weight of a power amp, you wont save you THAT much weight savings. Only 2 less slots in your rack.

According to the manuals:
    Ashdown RPM-1 = 6kg +
    Crown XLS 402 = 11.5kg = total 17.5 kg

Ashdown ABM500RC = 14kg.

So, yea, its a little heavier, but that difference in weight really isnt that much.

I'd think the CA-6 would be awesome. I'd also look at a QSC PLX 2402.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1's all the way around on what Gary said. :)

And as for the head versus rack setup, I really think that you could find happiness in either solution.