Ashdown ABM500 or RPM1 preamp w/power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguppy, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Right now I use a QSC RMX1450 & a Sansamp RBI into an Ashdown ABM210 & ABM115 (both 8 ohms) Compact cab. Currently I bridge the amp into 4 ohms.

I am keeping my current cabs. Would you get the Ashdown ABM500 or get the RPM1 EVOII preamp with either the same power amp or larger?

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I just recently picked up a used Ashdown pre and a new RMX1450. The drawback: I hurt my back lugging the 2 in a 6 space rack up stairs, so I had to get a GK 1001RB for at least the next few gigs. I like the pre/power combo for reliability and power flexibility, but weight is an issue for me now. If you haven't had that problem, then I'd say go for the component system.
  3. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    If you've got the $$$, then go for the ABM RPM-1 pre-, and the ABM AMP 1000 Evo power... then you'll be King of the Hill. :hyper:

But... you can't go wrong with the ABM500 Evo II. I have the rackmount version. I either play it through a Bergantino NV215, or an Eden D410XLT... depends on the gig. I am most delighted with my Ashdown head. Lots of tone shaping possibilities.

BTW... I also have a Marshall VBA400 all-tube head, but that's another chapter... :smug: